Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #71  
I've been out here for 39+ years - two tractors - both open station. Our summers are really nice - never too hot. Our winters don't get that much snow and are seldom below zero. I don't do anything with the tractor that would raise great clouds of dust or ash - using a rear cutter. I enjoy being out in the fresh air and if weather conditions are too extreme - I'll just stay inside. I have 80 acres.

I'm retired - there's always tomorrow.

Wow! ! ! Amber Washington! In 1983 I worked for a a summer at Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge. That was SUCH a great summer. You live in a beautiful area. And Yes. . . Great Weather! ! !

/ Cab or no cab? #72  
Turnbull NWR - the western edge of Turnbull is up the county road, towards Cheney, about four miles. I'm a mile and a half north of the old town of Amber. When we moved here in 1982 - the post office in Amber was on its very last legs. Folks in this area still have our annual late summer harvest gathering at the old Amber Grange Hall.

I've lived here 39+ years - I'm still considered a new comer. At our annual gathering you can meet folks who have lived their entire life, here, in the same house. They have been here 85+ years. My God - the stories they can tell .............

Cab on my tractor or not ...... there are times I wish I lived here a hundred years ago.

/ Cab or no cab? #73  
Cab for me. These pictures tell the story of comfort.
summer temps.JPGwinter temp.JPG

/ Cab or no cab? #75  
Some years I will help my neighbor plow his fields in the fall. It's a chance to operate a REALLY big tractor. They are all big red Case IH. I've noticed that even with the AC operating - the fall sun coming in thru all that glass make you hot. Frigid air blowing on a hot body. And all that there is to drink - water. When plowing up-wind it's nice to be able to open the doors on both sides.

It's seldom that I will see the temperature extremes that ipegasus has posted. In any case, in those temps I probably have an important project going on in the house.

/ Cab or no cab? #76  
Some years I will help my neighbor plow his fields in the fall. It's a chance to operate a REALLY big tractor. They are all big red Case IH. I've noticed that even with the AC operating - the fall sun coming in thru all that glass make you hot. Frigid air blowing on a hot body. And all that there is to drink - water. When plowing up-wind it's nice to be able to open the doors on both sides.

It's seldom that I will see the temperature extremes that ipegasus has posted. In any case, in those temps I probably have an important project going on in the house.

It's amazed me, how much difference a bright sunny day makes when working in the cab of my Kubota. Moving snow, with the thermometer hovering around 0 degrees, if that desert sun is shining I have to turn on the fan with the temperature control set on the cold side or it rapidly gets too hot for comfort inside that glass cubicle. On a day with heavy cloud cover and the temperature at 30 degrees I have to run the heater........

/ Cab or no cab? #77  
It's amazed me, how much difference a bright sunny day makes when working in the cab of my Kubota. Moving snow, with the thermometer hovering around 0 degrees, if that desert sun is shining I have to turn on the fan with the temperature control set on the cold side or it rapidly gets too hot for comfort inside that glass cubicle. On a day with heavy cloud cover and the temperature at 30 degrees I have to run the heater........

As someone else once said - It's like driving a solar panel:)

/ Cab or no cab? #78  
I have the Original Tractor Cab soft cab and it's the ideal choice for me. It goes on at Thanksgiving and comes off at Easter. It doesn't have a heater, but I really don't need it, even below zero. However, if I only had a 7 foot door, all options are off. I would never be satisfied with having to leave the tractor outside.

/ Cab or no cab? #79  
Get a cab because you want one but probably not because you need one on most days. That is the simple answer.

If you are moving loads, in and out a lot, working with other people on the ground; skip the cab you and others will be happy you did.

We have both. For a long day out doing the same thing all the time on in the winter feeding cows or summer mowing or baling the cab wins. 90% of the days though the open station gets all the odd jobs. Both are CaseIH / Farmall with nice big open platforms. One drives like a sports car and the other with the loader is just handy. In two years it has 300 hours while the others have just over 500 hours in 13 years. On a pretty day, even a hot one being outside is the way I like it.

If you get a cab make sure you can step out of it and not have to fall out. That is one reason I ended up with Case tractors, New Holland the same machine with different paint. I don't need green orange though I also have both of those.

/ Cab or no cab? #80  
Got a cab and have loved it. Can comfortably work in heat, cold and even rain. Will not go back..