BX2660 Power loss

/ BX2660 Power loss #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Tips for identifying and fixing intermittent power loss on a BX2660? My best guess at this point is algae in the tank and/or lines. But I'm open to other ideas.

Power loss intermittent, mostly on inclines, and tends to start within 10-20 minutes of operation. Especially when spinning a brush cutter (but also can happen without drawing from PTO). Has been happening for a long time. Can temporarily improve after fuel filter change and/or blowing pressurized air through the fuel line (starting from just before fuel enters the fuel pump, and blowing back toward the tank).

Things I've tried:
1. Changing fuel filters (both).
2. Draining fuel tank.
3. Buying fuel from different locations.
4. Pouring the fuel through a paint strainer when fueling up.
5. Using a fuel additive that supposedly helps keep algae from developing.
6. Trying to keep the tank as full as possible to prevent condensation.

Still having to stop every 10-30 minutes to blow air through the line. Words fail to describe how annoying this is.

Suggestions? Or maybe something I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

/ BX2660 Power loss #2  
Could be the lift pump. If it痴 not that you might need to get the tank out and clean it out. I致e read where on person that had something in the tank that would float over the outlet. A better filter helps. I put a Racor on mine but people have been using filters off a B series also.

/ BX2660 Power loss #3  
Perhaps the electric fuel pump is defective or lacks proper electrical power to it. There are some inexpensive fuel pumps that can be used if you suspect the pump. I've used one on my Dad's BX2200 and saved $80 over the Kubota unit and they lasted as long as the original.

When it loses power, can you disconnect a fuel line and judge how freely the fuel is flowing? Does it flow better after blowing air through it? If so, you might have to remove the tank to thoroughly clean.

Good luck!

/ BX2660 Power loss #4  
Perhaps the electric fuel pump is defective or lacks proper electrical power to it. There are some inexpensive fuel pumps that can be used if you suspect the pump. I've used one on my Dad's BX2200 and saved $80 over the Kubota unit and they lasted as long as the original.

When it loses power, can you disconnect a fuel line and judge how freely the fuel is flowing? Does it flow better after blowing air through it? If so, you might have to remove the tank to thoroughly clean.

Good luck!

SAVED $80???? How much is the BX fuel pump? I can't imagine that little 2" diameter X 2" long silver can is anywhere NEAR $80 purchased. In fact, I was quoted $24, and that's what they show for an aftermarket part. $49 max. I think you got took, unless BX2200 is different than the 50+ Series tractors.

/ BX2660 Power loss #5  
SAVED $80???? How much is the BX fuel pump? I can't imagine that little 2" diameter X 2" long silver can is anywhere NEAR $80 purchased. In fact, I was quoted $24, and that's what they show for an aftermarket part. $49 max. I think you got took, unless BX2200 is different than the 50+ Series tractors.

That little fuel pump from Kubota is very expensive compared to what can be found in the aftermarket. The fuel pump for the BX2660 is R1401-51352 and costs $124.64 using Messick's for price. The functionally equivalent product can be found more economically if one looks for a considerable savings. (Note: There are multiple pn's depending on serial number)

Perhaps you can identify the Kubota fuel pump part number that only costs $24.

For reference here's the BX2200 info:
80.1 ASSY PUMP,FUEL replaces #RC601-51350 RC601-51352 $127.06 5-7 business days 1 to equal #RC601-51350 (Note: Info copied from Messick's website)

/ BX2660 Power loss #6  
Tips for identifying and fixing intermittent power loss on a BX2660?
Still having to stop every 10-30 minutes to blow air through the line. Words fail to describe how annoying this is. ...

Suggestions? Or maybe something I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Considering all that has been said, I would remove the tank and do the equivalent of "steam cleaning it" whether that is really steam or not. Sounds to me like every time you get the filters happy you feed them a new load of crap from your tank. I know tank removal is not a small job so you may want to put a new generic electric pump in series and try that first (they are not expensive.)

/ BX2660 Power loss #7  
Perhaps you can identify the Kubota fuel pump part number that only costs $24

I just searched "BX2200 fuel pump". I just tried again and while the $24 one isn't showing, there are a variety that are under the $80 savings. I'd be studying them hard before paying $130+ for a pump... especially as tinker toy as it is.

/ BX2660 Power loss #8  
My guess is something in your tank that covers the inlet port to the fuel line. You blow air back and it floats till it settles back.
Try running off a alternate fuel tank and see if the tractors runs normally.

/ BX2660 Power loss
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Fuel pump sounds fine when I use it to prime fuel after disconnecting/reconnecting line. But I will keep that in mind as a possibility.

/ BX2660 Power loss
Considering all that has been said, I would remove the tank and do the equivalent of "steam cleaning it" whether that is really steam or not. Sounds to me like every time you get the filters happy you feed them a new load of crap from your tank. I know tank removal is not a small job so you may want to put a new generic electric pump in series and try that first (they are not expensive.)

I've heard taking out the tank is a major undertaking.

I wonder if using something like a plumber's snake and fishing around in the tank would work. Thoughts??