BX24 won't "ground engage"?

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Today was the first time I have gotten around to trying the plow (http://bluebirdmeadowfarms.blogspot.com/2007/07/just-what-i-needed.html) on my tractor - or my brand new disks... (http://bluebirdmeadowfarms.blogspot.com/2007/08/while-concrete-dust-settles.html) with my BX24... up until today there were some minor things that bugged me - but it's been a more than capable tractor...
Here's the thing - neither the plow (not even at all) nor the disks really (about 2 to 2.5") even come close to engaging the ground... It's like the 3PT arms are too short... no amount of rolling out - or rolling in the top link gets things to bit into the soil...
I'm rather confused and frustrated. Especially since I KNOW others out there have plowed and disked with these before - using 3PT equipment...
I'm thinking I'm at a mental impasse - because - I know how to adjust a plow - and there is no way I can get the arms to lower far enough to bit ground...
Do I modify the plow and move the pins higher so it sits lower? Do I buy this - http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...oduct_6970_200280774_200280774&issearch=12610 or this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7807_7807&issearch=12835 to get a little more length on the drawbar arms - so they hang lower...

I know I can't be the only person to have some implements not engage the ground with a BX... Help me TractorByNet... you are my only hope...

OK humility check here - so my pride isn't completely damaged, I'm gonna state for my personal edification - I have have been around farms/tractors my whole life...

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #2  
I don't have a BX tractor but your saying the 3pt arms are not lowering far enough for your disk to do any good.
Well I'll take a stab at it.... is your side link adjusted up too far? Do you have two sets of holes for your side links to connect up to your lower links? These are the only two thinks that come to mind without doing something else.

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #3  
Can you post some pictures for us to look at?

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #4  
I Don't have a BX24.. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night.....I'm not positive but when your in the seat, below the seat there's a black knob that adjust the seat tension. But isn't there another black knob? This controls your three pt.hitch drop rate. Let it all the way out. Good luck Frank

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"?
wushaw said:
Iis your side link adjusted up too far? Do you have two sets of holes for your side links to connect up to your lower links? These are the only two thinks that come to mind without doing something else.
#1 - I let it down as far as I could - and although that sorat helped - it made the plow face the wrong direction... meaning it rolled the plows angle too far over.
#2 - nope - sure wish I did!
#3 - Me too...

cheesehead said:
Can you post some pictures for us to look at?

If those links to the implements in the first post are not enough - I'll get some specific pics on this issue up tomorrow.

I'll start with the disk - since that's what's on the tractor right now.

Double Orange said:
I Don't have a BX24.. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night.....I'm not positive but when your in the seat, below the seat there's a black knob that adjust the seat tension. But isn't there another black knob? This controls your three pt.hitch drop rate. Let it all the way out. Good luck Frank
That's drop rate - not depth... So all it adjusts is the rate it gets to the point that it disappoints!

I did screw around with the knob for the mower deck height - thinking somehow that might have something to do with the 3PT - does not... Besides - when the deck is not on - I set that to TOP - like a good boy.

Suddenly - I feel like my little tractor is - well - too little and not capable... for the first time since I got her - even when the fender broke - I gave her a dirty look...

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #8  
A disc won't penetrate hard ground with out a LOT of weight on it, and then it won't go very deep.

ron

/ BX24 won't "ground engage"? #10  
Fish,

I don't know anything about a 1 bottom plow,.............but I did use a middle buster plow to break up about a half acre this spring for a pumpkin patch. The field was an old hay, now weed field that is hard clay with many rocks. My BX24 would cut 10-12 inches deep with no problem. A large rock would stop me dead in my tracks (it is a baby tractor after all) , but a little adjustment with the 3pt hitch and away she goes. I then used a 3pt tiller to finish the area, but I think your disc would be the nuts, due to all the rocks.

I watched a video of MILKMAN kicking some butt with a 1 bottom, I'm sure yours just needs some adjustment or maybe it plain ole doesn't fit the tractor correctly.

Good luck,