Bx1800 steering problem

/ Bx1800 steering problem #1  

eubie5

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2380
Love this little tank, it's like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going.
Now, the bad news. The steering is starting to act funny. I'm constantly have to turn my steering wheel, just to keep tractor straight. Sometimes, not all the times, I will have to turn it 360 just to keep going straight. Sometimes, it's better than other times, it seems to come and go. Just did a complete redo of all my fluids a couple months ago. This started about 1 month ago. Checked hydraulic fluid, it's fine. Tractor has about 800 hours on it. It does not have a fel.
I'm sure someone can help me.
Thanks guys, really love this forum. I got away from it for years, but plan on upgrading to a larger tractor within the next year, and I can't read enough of this stuff.
I'm on here constantly.
Thanks again.

/ Bx1800 steering problem #2  
I could be wrong, BUT, I think you need to rebuild the steering cylinder (Take off, replace seals and "O" rings, put back on.) I had to do mine at about 450 hours on my BX2350. Having 800 + hours on yours sounds like the center "O" ring has gotten worn out or hard so it does not seal between the 2 side of the piston.

Having done this only 1 time, it took me about 4 hours to complete after getting the seal kit from the dealer. If you do not have one, get a shop manual for your tractor. It will show the procedure to rebuild the cylinder.

Dave

/ Bx1800 steering problem
Thanks for the answer.
I know i could probably just look this up, what's the price on the seal kit, as apposed to just buying a new steering cylinder? Not sure of the price of a shop manual, but I'm sure it's not cheap. I plan on buying up by next summer, and getting a larger tractor with a fel. I'm sure i could probably find the directions on YouTube.
Once again, thanks for answering

/ Bx1800 steering problem #4  
I agree. Almost certainly the middle o ring. I can not remember the cost of the kit but it seems like it was quite a bit less. Took me about 4 hours to fix also.

/ Bx1800 steering problem #6  
I had to do mine at 1150hrs on my BX2200. took about an hour and was not difficult. Messy but pretty straight forward. No special tools. Good time to change the Hydraulic fluid it is near time. Lots cheaper than sending it out or replacing it.

/ Bx1800 steering problem #7  
eubie5,

IF I remember correctly, seal kit at Kubota dealer was about $25. No special tools required. Follow directions in Workshop Manual and all will go well. I'm not sure if the steering cylinder is different on the BX1800 vs the B2350. PM me here with your e-mail address and I will send you an attached copy of the BX2350 workshop manual.

Dave

/ Bx1800 steering problem #8  
It seems like I did have to buy a tool. As I recall I did not have the correct size wrench to take the end joint off. It seems like a thin wrench would have been nice but can not remember what I used, but it was not difficult. You are suppose to take both end joints off but I only did one side. The rod will then come out.

I also just did the center o ring. The kit comes with a bunch os seals. I wish I had changed the end seals. Mine has leaked off and on since. It leaked really bad at first bit actually got better with time. During the summer it does not leak at all and very minor in the winter. It is up to you on how many seals to change, I can not even remember what half of the are for.

Some where if you do a search there is a good post on how to do it.

/ Bx1800 steering problem #9  
Thanks for the answer.
I know i could probably just look this up, what's the price on the seal kit, as apposed to just buying a new steering cylinder? Not sure of the price of a shop manual, but I'm sure it's not cheap. I plan on buying up by next summer, and getting a larger tractor with a fel. I'm sure i could probably find the directions on YouTube.
Once again, thanks for answering

Here is a link for the WSM steering section on line. You can just view the WSM on line or download the WSM free.

/ Bx1800 steering problem #10  
I have had to fix mine twice (900 hrs). The first time I bought the kit and did it myself. It was a real pain to get the ends off the cylinder with my moderately complete tool set. I remember my vise wanting to come off the table. The second time I was really busy and I just went down and bought the whole cylinder. I think it was about $150 and I got it swapped out in about 20 min. Easy peasy. I kept the old one for rebuilding sometime (maybe). Put down lots of paper and once you get it out, don't be sliding the ram back and forth unless you want to get a hydraulic oil bath. Ask me how I know that.