BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED!

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
If anybody has followed my other thread, I figured out why my BX is having problems going up a hill. This is my other thread, but I thought I'd start a new one. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/240157-bx-wont-pull-hill.html

In the other thread, someone suggested I pull up to a tree and in 4 low, it should spin the tires. I did this once, everything spun. I backed up and did it again, and only the fronts spun. So I put it in just two wheel low, and same thing, the rears are not spinning. The funny thing is, I can hear the engine digging in and a little bit of HST whine. I'm thinking broken axle or something. So I do it again and lean way out and look at the rear wheel. Well the problem is the rim is spinning inside the wheel. I spent something like $116 at the dealer, to have them tell me nothing was wrong. The drove it up and down some hills and never had a problem. I can't really fault them for not finding this problem.

So does anybody have any ideas on how to make this stop? I thought I would raise the rear tire pressure a little. I know this is a problem on drag cars, where the run low tire pressure and get great traction. On them, they bolt the tires to the rim. I'm don't think this would work on my BX. I also have rimguard in the rims, if this makes any difference. I thought it might make the rims a little slippery?

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #2  
That Rimguard must be some kind of slippery. I have never had or heard of a tractor tire slipping on the rim. Kubota TORQUE!

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #3  
I have heard of this ,what are you running for pressures?

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #5  
I have rimguard in mine also- what pressure do you have yours at?

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED!
I didn't check it, but I'd say between 12 and 15 psi. Thats what I try and keep it at.

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #7  
Well hey the good news. is you don't have a broken axle/stripped splines etc that is catching some of the time or something like that:eek:
I am thinking air those puppies up to 20 lbs and your problem goes away?

This has been a head scratcher...who would of thunk it?:laughing: I never could figure out why the rear tires seemed to not work some of the time and some of the time they did.. this has been a great learning experience!

James K0UA

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #8  
I think you should edit your title from "PROBLEM SOLVED" to "PROBLEM FOUND"

That said, I think the best solution might be to pump out the Rimguard, and remount the tires with a liberal dose of bead sealer painted on the rim, then replace the ballast. I wonder if the bead wasn't sealed well in the first place & the Rimguard provided the lubrication to let it slip. In any event, the bead sealer is an excellent adhesive.

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #9  
I am thinking, (others please chime in) that maybe you pump them up to the max recommended pressure to help seat the beads better and force out the slimy rimguard on the bead. Then leave them at that for a day or 2 to let the slimy rimguard dry on the joint of the metal rim and the tire bead, then maybe lower them to 20 or so for better traction.. what do you think? I am betting they are around 10 or 12 pounds now, and it is just not enough to keep the bead seated hard, you had a little rimguard escape and now it is coated the whole bead with rimguard...

James K0UA

/ BX won't pull a hill-PROBLEM SOLVED! #10  
I am thinking, (others please chime in) that maybe you pump them up to the max recommended pressure to help seat the beads better and force out the slimy rimguard on the bead. Then leave them at that for a day or 2 to let the slimy rimguard dry on the joint of the metal rim and the tire bead, then maybe lower them to 20 or so for better traction.. what do you think? I am betting they are around 10 or 12 pounds now, and it is just not enough to keep the bead seated hard, you had a little rimguard escape and now it is coated the whole bead with rimguard...

James K0UA

That's a good idea
Rimguard gets pretty sticky when it dries.