Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares.

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Okay those of you that have a Bx 26 or 25 or 23 with the plastic engine side panels , but steel hood, mine is 2008 model BX2660. There has to be a better way to reinstall the orange plastic side panel shroud after various servicing . . You either have to have a second person help install by each taking a side, ( but my wife does not like coming out to garage to hear me swear at it) or you fiddle with it for 30 minutes. The problem is the steel hood also needs to be held at half open and hold both sides of side panel shroud and slide into grooves in firewall, while simultaneously moving steel hood up or down to give clearances and line up with screw downs close to headlight. Plastic takes a beating ! So for example this morning while draining and changing antifreeze, when done service and ready to put side panel shroud back on , after 15 minutes..... I ended up taking off steel hood by unplugging lights, remove prop up cylinder bolt and the front hood bolt and sleeves. ( another 15 minutes) then have access to better align side panels , and then reinstall steel hood. DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER WAY. The user manual is not any help.

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #2  
On my BX2360, there is a plastic strap that can pulled out from the dash wall that will hold the hood partially open.
20220630_160016.jpg
20220630_155957.jpg

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #3  
And here I thought I was too old to learn anything new. '09 BX24, and sure enough, there it is. First I've seen or heard of it. Thanks!

Too soon old... too late smart...

Z.

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #4  
Don't feel bad, I just recently noticed my microwave, that I've had for 20 years, had a dedicated button for 30 seconds.

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #5  
hoist & pully to raise / lower from garage ceiling ???

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares.
Thanks Wildbill ! ....that should handle the position of the steel hood, while trying to align the two tabs on each plastic side panel at the rad firewall. As much as I love my tractor, this engine cover design was poorly thought out. I am curious if they improved the design a few years later ??

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #7  
I hope there is a special place reserved for the designer of the hood. The tabs on mine are half broken off and have to have a big washer on them to hold the hood on.

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #8  
I hope there is a special place reserved for the designer of the hood. The tabs on mine are half broken off and have to have a big washer on them to hold the hood on.
I 3D printed a couple of replacement tabs for mine. Trimmed the area so they fit flush and JB Welded them in place.

1656725317034.jpeg

/ Bx plastic Engine side panel nightmares. #9  
On my BX2380, push the front guard forward and tilt up, side panels are integrated with hood. The BX1870 was another story, that plastic wraparound side panels was a real PITA to put back on...never saw strap either....