BX and a soil plow

/ BX and a soil plow #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I posted "dirt plow" because this time of year people seem to be all thinking snow... and since I hate the cold... I'm thinking soil...

So - with a BX24... and the desire to make many gardens where there is now weed and sod... what's the opinions of this forum for the right tool for this job?

48" tiller... or 1-2 bottom plow + disc or drag.

The opinion lines are open.

/ BX and a soil plow #2  
I would probably have to say a tiller. I don't think you could pull a 2-bottom plow with that size tractor. Sure, a 1-bottom plow maybe. But that would take a long time and be a bit of a set-up. It would likely be difficult without 3ph draft control also. A tiller would likely get it done quicker and with less hassle.

/ BX and a soil plow #3  
One other thing. . . .what is your soil type? If you have clay soil I doubt very seriously a BX would pull even a 1-bottom plow. If it is loam you would be okay most likely.

/ BX and a soil plow #4  
Fish,

Go with the tiller.

Here's what I do with simlilar equipment:

Cut brush/weeds/grass with mower/rotary cutter.

Spray with round-up....Wait a couple weeks.

Use box blade with scarifiers all the way down, blade just above the ground. Back and forth and diagonal to break up soil.

Rototill 'till your happy with soil.

Have soil tested. Fertilize as necessary. Grow nice stuff!

/ BX and a soil plow #5  
Hi Fishpick,
I prefer to break up the soil first with a middlebuster or SB plow first, but that also depends on soil type and if it has been worked recently, as Glowplug asked.

In my experience, with our heavy clay and alkaline soil in Central Texas,
it is a muti-step process.

I start using a midddle buster with the blade unbolted and removed, and use the single "tooth" down about 6' to 10" to break up the soil. My BX2200 handles this without problem and with turf tires too.
I make a pass every foot or as needed.

Then I reattach the middlebuster blade and make passes as needed. May need to attach a "gauge wheel" on the middlebuster or SB plow if needed, and make adjustments on 3PH to keep from digging in too much.

If you have a tiller, then use that to churn the soil to your satisfaction.
In my opinion, a tiller works best with loose or soft soil. A tiller used in hardpacked soil just puts serious wear and tear on the tiller and tractor. I would rather find big rocks, roots or trash with a plow rather than a tiller.

If you don't have a tiller yet, running a 4' disk back and forth over the soil comes pretty close in my view.
Gives you more time on the tractor too!

/ BX and a soil plow #6  
Hi Glowplug,
Our soil here in Central Texas is heavy clay in most places, and some places only a few inches deep before you hit limestone.
My 3.5 acres has soil about 2' deep. When dry it is like concrete and when wet becomes "gumbo". When conditions are just right, my Bx2200 with a SB plow handles it without a problem. A 2 bottom plow would be too much in this soil for my BX.

/ BX and a soil plow #8  
I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull a true moldboard plow with a BX or any tractor for that matter that doesn't have draft control. I would love to hear from some people's experiences. I can see where a subsoiler may work okay without draft control though.

/ BX and a soil plow #9  
Glowplug said:
I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull a true moldboard plow with a BX or any tractor for that matter that doesn't have draft control. I would love to hear from some people's experiences. I can see where a subsoiler may work okay without draft control though.

Works really well (see link in post #7) the pics there were in really dry, hard ground, I have used it in a lot better soil since then and have added a depth wheel to maintain a constant depth. Really enjoy my 14" single bottom true moldboard plow and the BX has no trouble at all pulling it.