BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
After breaking another one of the Kubota stabilizer links this spring, I decided to build a set of telescoping stabilizers that would be stronger. I had a little over two feet of material left from a telescoping drive shaft I bought to make a shaft for the snow blower on my 430 John Deere. The bar is 3/4" by 5/8" and slides into the tube with minimum of play. I cut bars and tubes a foot long and laid out a series of holes on each one, 3/4" spacing on the tubes and 5/8" spacing on the bars. That was a lot of drilling, but my 3/8" cobalt bit was drilling just as well at the end as in the beginning. I made clevises for the ends out of 1/4" X 1" bar stock and welded them to the ends of the parts. I bead blasted the parts and gave them a coat of self-etching primer and a couple of coats of Kubota Gray. I used a couple of clevis pins to set the lengths that can be adjusted in 1/8" increments.
I 'll see how they hold up when pulling the utility trailer and box blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_153144641 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20210805_153144641 (Medium).jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210805_153151735 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20210805_153151735 (Medium).jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #2  
Great job, better than one can buy. But why on earth are you putting so much stress on the stab links ?

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #3  
Nice job. Might want to have a slot option to allow for a little movement with some implements.
IMG_0669.JPG

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #4  
Great job, better than one can buy. But why on earth are you putting so much stress on the stab links ?
Usually stabilizers fail when adjusted to work in extension. When set up to work in compression they usually perform fine.

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #5  
Usually stabilizers fail when adjusted to work in extension. When set up to work in compression they usually perform fine.
I don't understand. Any left-right swing of the lift arms is going to put one of the stabilizers in tension and the other in compression. The only other circumstance is momentary when a stabilizer is neither in compression nor tension because it is in a moment of "slop" or looseness. ???

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers

The last time was when I was pulling my utility trailer around the property loaded with mulch. I had to do some tight maneuvering and one broke. To be honest, the weld that broke was poor at best, little penetration. I repaired it, but decided to make something that I knew was stronger.

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #7  
I cut my front mounting plate down the center and I can adjust one arm higher or lower and not bind it any.

/ BX 3 Point Hitch Stapilizers #8  
Messicks also sells some fabricated stabilizer arms they have a local shop make for around $190. I dislike how much sway is in my 3 point hitch when I use the back blade to clean driveway in winter, so I just use loader....