BX 1870 throttle won't stay put...

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #1  

dieselbob69

Gold Member
Tractor
'21 Kubota BX2380
Hey folks,was wondering if anything like this has happened to you. I was mowing(BX 1870), turned PTO off to go pick up item in the lawn,left it at around 2500+ rpms, and as I was picking the item up in lawn,the tractor rpm's went to idle:confused: . When I got back in seat and pulled throttle lever down,as soon as I let go of it, it went right back to idle, it won't stay put. I finished the last 45 minutes w/ me holding the throttle down by hand:mad:. I was able to look at it when I put it in garage,cable still actuates the lever on pump,but it springs right back to idle when released. It looks like there is a small hole a small spring would hook into,but I don't see another hole. I don't know if a spring broke or not. I see the adjusting nuts for the throttle that has a piece of thin cable wire wrapped around them w/ the ends crimped together(? for dealer to see if you've messed w/ pump idle settings so they can deny warranty for any problems?). I only have 80 hours on this machine and it's had multiple minor issues since purchase,this is the latest issue. I'm starting to get disgusted w/ Kubota once again.....thinking I shoulda spent a little extra and gone green:eek:......

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #2  
Look under the dash, usually some friction washers on the throttle lever there and that is where things are adjusted. The lever on the pump needs to be able to move freely to work properly.

Drove my neighbors BX1870 and the lever was real hard to move but stayed where you moved it to. My BX2230 takes less force and I think i may have tightened once over the last 12 years.

You can go Green and have a throttle that works without problems but the other repairs are much more expensive for the busted parts.

David

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #3  
My 1860 did that. Removed the battery cover screen in front of operator and tightened nut on bottom of throttle lever. Now need to do it again 3 years later.

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put...
Ok, the nut loosened up again-dealer took care of it last time as they had picked it up to take care of another issue. This time I took the cover off and investigated, as I didn't do that last time. The nut on bottom had loosened up again, tightened it up with 12mm wrench. I decided that was last time it was gonna happen to me, so I went to Home Depot to see if I could find nut that would work- the M8 nuts were closest to the 12mm wrench, but just a bit bigger than the wrench. I got a few different ones. I tried the M8x1.25 nut first, and it worked. I used a nylon insert locknut, M8x1.25, which needed a 13mm wrench. Throttle lever working nicely once again...

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #5  
. I used a nylon insert locknut, M8x1.25, which needed a 13mm wrench. Throttle lever working nicely once again...

Looks like you found my solution. I was just going to suggest this. After using a nylon locking nut, I get zero slippage.

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #6  
My JD855 had the same problem and I tightened the bolt on it. If it loosens again, I will try your idea of a nylock nut.

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #7  
I found a Youtube video on this problem and now I want it I can't find it (of course!) but essentially he has said the same as everyone else here and use a nylock.

/ BX 1870 throttle won't stay put... #8  
I see the adjusting nuts for the throttle that has a piece of thin cable wire wrapped around them w/ the ends crimped together(? for dealer to see if you've messed w/ pump idle settings so they can deny warranty for any problems?).

I'm tempted to say, "You can't be serious!" but I guess you are. Sure, there are times when dealers/manufacturers carry things a bit too far, but come on!! Take a deep breath, relax, and perhaps indulge in an adult beverage. This too shall pass. :)