Buying Used for Beginners...

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
OK, I am back in Texas and will resume my series of questions about buying a compact tractor.

Today's question is about buying a used tractor. I am very well versed in used car buying, but there are some important things that I just don't know well enough in buying a used CT.

What I think I know...right now inventory is low for new tractors which drives up the price of both new and used. In many cases, it seems there is little difference in the prices between new and used. (I teach Econ, so that 100% makes sense with supply and demand). In a more 'normal' economy, buying used would make a lot more sense for a newby like me...now, I am not so sure. Our credit is good, so new tractors are likely to come with 0% interest. Loans for used tractors...not sure how closely they compare to auto loans, but used always has a higher interest rate. I prefer to buy used directly from someone I know rather than a dealer, but that may not be possible. Used has a lot more risk of hidden issues. On the other hand, with used you may be able to find options (or lack thereof) that are not possible on new tractors. There are a lot of variables, so answers to questions will always have caveats.

So, here are the questions:
1) How many hours per year would be considered low-medium-high usage? (obviously, this is only one aspect of value, but it is a quantifiable one)
2) What things can a novice look for on a used vehicle that are signs of misuse or neglect?
3) Are there any bits of sage advice you have for someone looking at a used tractor to reduce the risk a bit?
4) With a car, it is not uncommon to have an independent mechanic look over a vehicle before a sale. Is this a reasonable approach with a used CT?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. Y'all have been outstanding and patient with my questions so far.

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #2  
This is a good reference for price/age/hours

You can learn more from a dusty tractor than a steam cleaned one. Look at grease points should have squeezed out grease nearby. Did they write # of hours or date on filters. Filter thats same color of paint as engine, probably is the original.

Stick with an established name brand Case/IH, John Deere, Ford/New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Kubota. Newer brand only if you have a local dealer.

Once you sorta know what you want search forums for known issues. Stay away from Kubota B3350 - pollution control issues.

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #3  
How many hours per year would be considered low-medium-high usage?

A typical homeowner uses a tractor for lawn mowing and yard work around 60 engine hours per year. This from industry surveys reported here. Hopefully these owners have a tractor <25 horsepower so they need not fret about once-per-year DPF regeneration.

I use my tractor 200 - 250 engine hours per year, which I consider moderate.
I likely rack up one hour of engine-off tractor related work for every engine hour, such as mounting and dismounting implements, tractor greasing, chainsaw work reducing deadfall size before transport on pallet forks, purchasing and transporting diesel fuel, seeding after cultivation, etc. (I am retired.)

Hobby farmers may rack up 300 - 400 engine hours per year, depending on spread size, crop and motivation.

Over 400 engine hours per year most have departed the compact tractor category for the heavier utility tractor category.

Owner/operator use, rather than employee use is good.
Inside storage is good. Rodents gnawing the wiring of an outside stored tractor are sometimes a problem.

What things can a novice look for on a used vehicle that are signs of misuse or neglect?

Last edited:
   / Buying Used for Beginners... #4  
AskTractorMike.com has a downloadable checklist for things to look at when buying used. He also has a series of helpful videos on YouTube geared towards new owners. Neil from Messicks likewise - although he sometimes pushes the dealer relationship a little hard.

/ Buying Used for Beginners...
I got the same vibe from Messicks. Ultimately, his videos are marketing for his business. I don't blame him, but it makes me take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #6  
I got the same vibe from Messicks. Ultimately, his videos are marketing for his business. I don't blame him, but it makes me take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt.
I have owned three tractors. One Deere, purchased used, and two new Kubotas. Messick's videos concur with my ten year experiences with two Kubotas.

I also value Ted Coriheer's videos at everytfhingattachments.com.

Enlightened self-interest = behavior based on awareness that what is in the public interest is eventually in the interest of all individuals ...

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #7  
I have owned three tractors. One Deere, purchased used, and two new Kubotas. Messick's videos concur with my ten year experiences with two Kubotas.

I also value Ted Coriheer's videos at everytfhingattachments.com.

Enlightened self-interest = behavior based on awareness that what is in the public interest is eventually in the interest of all individuals ...
Not disagreeing with you - all three dispense valuable info. Just have a little bit of an issue with the importance he sometimes places on the dealer “relationship”. I did however keep dealer professionalism in mind when making my recent purchase. (Kioti DK4510)

What is in the public interest is rarely if ever in the interest of ALL individuals.

/ Buying Used for Beginners... #9  
New vs Used: When I was shopping seriously 5-4 years ago (took me a while) I encountered the same thing: used tractors which didn't look like a bomb hit them were being advertised for nearly new prices (and upon contacting, the sellers expressed little willingness to admit to any price flexibility). Since at that point there wasn't a new-tractor shortage, I chose to go with a new tractor.

My tendency when buying used anything is that unless it's ridiculously cheap, I want something that's reasonably new; I've bought a number of cars with 1-2 years of age, 15-30k miles, and I've been very happy with that. Something like a tractor that has some serious chance to be abused I was unwilling to relax my "it should be in really good condition" for any price. If I was a heavy equipment mechanic instead of merely mechanically inclined/home DIY type, I'd probably consider fixers for rock-bottom prices.

Good info. I am barely mechanically inclined. I am better with technology.