Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #1  

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I have been looking for a compatible backhoe for my JD790 to no avail. Only twice have I seen them come up on Craigslist and they were both gone quicker than I could ever get to them. I want the ability to dig, so have noticed these stump buckets as digging tools. They even have some which claim to dig over 4'. Has anybody used these for digging? What can I expect of them as a digging tool? Please share your experiences and any insight. Thank you for reading.

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #2  
I have been looking for a compatible backhoe for my JD790 to no avail. Only twice have I seen them come up on Craigslist and they were both gone quicker than I could ever get to them. I want the ability to dig, so have noticed these stump buckets as digging tools. They even have some which claim to dig over 4'. Has anybody used these for digging? What can I expect of them as a digging tool? Please share your experiences and any insight. Thank you for reading.
You can dig in soft soi with little or no roots. Anything else the backhoe wins hands down.

Andy

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #3  

John Deere 790​

John Deere 790 tractor photo
2000 - 2007
Model year 2000-20022003-2007
Compact Utility tractor
Yanmar built
Weight1930 to 2105 pounds

Stump buckets are primarily Skid Steer attachments, where the engine is in the rear and hydraulics are high capacity relative to tractors.

Stump buckets have some use with tractors of 5,000+ pounds bare tractor weight and, of course, an FEL.

My 3,700 pound bare tractor weight Kubota L3560 failed at powering a modest size stump bucket. I am in Florida. My soil is rock-free, sandy loam.

Keep searching for a backhoe.

Last edited:
   / Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe

John Deere 790​

John Deere 790 tractor photo
2000 - 2007
Model year 2000-20022003-2007
Compact Utility tractor
Yanmar built
Weight1930 to 2105 pounds

Stump buckets are primarily Skid Steer attachments, where the engine is in the rear and hydraulics are high capacity relative to tractors.

Stump buckets have some use with tractors of 5,000+ pounds bare tractor weight and, of course, an FEL.

My 3,700 pound bare tractor weight Kubota L3560 failed at powering a modest size stump bucket. I am in Florida. My soil is rock-free, sandy loam.

Keep searching for a backhoe.
Thank you. My tractor with loader is a little over 3,000 lbs, which is probably going to render the stump bucket almost useless in my rocky earth location. Been having a hard time locating a JD 7 backhoe.

I found that the Woods BH75 is compatible, but I have to buy a subframe and hydraulics package. This puts the total purchase price close to $10,000. At that rate, it would be smarter to sell my tractor and buy something with a backhoe.

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #5  
Thank you. My tractor with loader is a little over 3,000 lbs, which is probably going to render the stump bucket almost useless in my rocky earth location. Been having a hard time locating a JD 7 backhoe.

I found that the Woods BH75 is compatible, but I have to buy a subframe and hydraulics package. This puts the total purchase price close to $10,000. At that rate, it would be smarter to sell my tractor and buy something with a backhoe.
A backhoe with a tractor adds almost $10k to the tractor package. Of course a larger tractor would be nice!!

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe
A backhoe with a tractor adds almost $10k to the tractor package. Of course a larger tractor would be nice!!

I called a dealer today and was quoted $14,000 for the whole thing. He basically told me it's not worth it.

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #7  
I run a stump bucket on my 1626, which weighs out at about 3300 lbs with the attachment and my tractor handles it just fine. Here in Maine there are lots of surface roots and this bucket performs great. I looked at several different styles and ended up with this one due to the construction. It uses 3/8" steel for the bucket and is super rugged.

The bucket is out of stock at this company, but others similar to this design can be found. I think I paid about $450 a couple years ago. Happy with what it can do.

For the little digging I do, I couldn't justify a backhoe. Besides, I use my 3-point all the time.

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #8  
I recently purchased my first tractor. A LSMT335H and purchased a LB1100 series backhoe with that. The dealer recommended that series as the MT335H has the MT2 frame he said.
It is rather slow going. It moves fast as far as the hydraulic speed goes but it is like digging a hole with a teaspoon! Not to mention you have to mess around repositioning the tractor.
There is a implement only dealer who who is selling unmarked Tomahawk front end attachments. I bought a one cylinder grapple for $1250 and he gave me a price of $450 on a stump bucket because I bought them together and pick up was free (close to my property).
This stump bucket digs in very easily and scoops out (it seems like) more dirt than the backhoe bucket. Plus you are more mobile and can move a dirt pile in a central location. I popped a 6" maple out rather quickly and used the tilt of the FEL to easily raise the stump up in the air with no grunting or groaning from the tractor! I know all stumps are not created equal though. I am sure you could use this to dig a trench and keep backing up and digging while moving the dirt to a central pile if needed because you have the ability to move the tractor anywhere you want with a bucket full of dirt.
If you are having that much trouble getting a decent price on a backhoe I would definitely get a bucket and try it out first.
1686506432239.png

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #9  
I guess it all really depends on what type of digging. If you want trenches for something, it is probably both better and cheaper to rent a mini-ex. I don't think a stump bucket is a good tool for that task.

I could see using a backhoe frequently for the first year or two, but seldom after that. I have a place a few miles away that rents equipment.

OP, if you can outline the tasks you hope to accomplish, you may get better advice.

/ Buying Stump Bucket Instead of Backhoe #10  
I guess that's why they call it a ditch/stump bucket. If you need to clean out a ditch or make a ditch where there is none I think it would work well. For regularly digging deep trenches not at all. I purchased my backhoe for digging out stumps on land I am hoping to clear. Now I am thinking of a combination of the stump bucket and using snatch blocks and pulling them out with the tractor after they are loosened up a bit.