Buying out of area - freight & funds

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
How are funds usually transferred for out of area purchases where a tractor has to be shipped in from a private party? What are buyer/seller options to guarantee both buyer and seller are protected.....that the tractor actually gets shipped and is what it is said to be?
thanks, rScotty

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #2  
Scotty,
Best bet is to take the time to go see it and bring a trailer to take it home if you still wan't it. The trip is the lesser of several evils.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #3  
I agree, too many things could happen otherwise.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #4  
Recently I was looking at a Kubota RTV online, what I was going to do is drive my truck to location, if the vehicle met my needs, I was just going to rent a uhaul trailer to bring the RTV home. Of course this will only work depending on the size of the vehicle you are buying and the size of a uhaul trailer available.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #5  
Wouldn't do it, no way no how. I trust no one when it comes to my money.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #6  
Lots of scams out there indicating beautiful vehicles for sale at amazing prices...just send money...I've seen them for RTV's, tractors, etc...on Craig's List I've seen same vehicle advertised from several states at the same time...be very suspicious!

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #7  
I have had very good luck, both buying and selling things out of my area. If buying, I would send a deposit in advance (I like PayPal) and then have your bank setup a bank transfer to that person's bank, or a bank check that goes to the person via their bank. Once both banks acknowledge each other, you should be able to confirm the transaction is legit. Once you get there and inspect it, either confirm the transfer or don't.

I would only accept a "check" out money order thru the banks, or, by receiving it in advance and waiting for it to clear.

Good luck.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #8  
There are several ways this can be done to the satisfaction of both parties. Son has made 3-4 sizable purchases on items located across the country. First purchase was a high-end piano. Son found and hired a pro to go look at the piano, submit a report with photo's. Based on the report the sale proceeded. Monies was placed in escrow. Son hired the shipper, in this case a company that specialized in moving pianos. As soon as the piano was in the possession of the shipping company, son called the escrow Co and gave them permission to release the monies to the selling party.

Did something sim on the purchase of a JD 455 from a mid-West dealer. Again, son hired the shipper and again, as soon as the tractor was in the possession of the shipper, the monies was released to the selling dealer.

You can do these deals safely but you need to do it the right way. Escrow Co's are involved in sales/purchases all the time but most of us only think of them being used for the sale/purchase of real-estate.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #9  
I've had mixed experiences with the bad experiences because I trusted too much (I'm Minnesotan :eek: ) and failed to manage my risk. The best way to do it is to put your money into escrow with an independent, third party. Some banks offer escrow services.

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/commercial_business/products_and_services/corp_trust/escrow_ps.cfm

Ask the seller if they are comfortable with your using an escrow service and go from there.

Disclosure: I own equity in USB and I do business with them.

/ Buying out of area - freight & funds #10  
The problem is that scammers often start out with the assurance of using an escrow company. Of course there are legit escrow companies, but if a buyer tells me he wants escrow on a tractor, I assume it is a scam.

f buying from a private party, it seems the only sure way is to hook up the trailer and take a long drive. Even that has risks as they might sell it while you are on the way or it may not be as advertised. But that is the only sure way I think.

Having said that, I have bought stuff from across the country and sent money to people I do not know. It worked each time except once. In that instance the guy would not ship the item or answer my calls for months. Eventually I was able to turn the screws on him enough to get the item, but it was not a nice deal. After that, if it is too far to go get, I do not buy it.