Buying an excavator - questions?

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
I have been thinking of possibly purchasing an excavator - probably in the 3-4 ton range.

First let me state - I do not know much about excavators - so the questions may reflect that.

First - is there any manufacturer(s) that are better than the others? More reliable - better specs for the money, etc?

Are there specific features that I should look for to make the equipment more efficient?

I have done some preliminary looking around and the John Deere 35D ZTS is probably in the range of what I would be looking for. I would probably want to buy one with a cab too - not just a canopy.

My experience at this point is limited to a few hundred hours on a BX23 Kubota - and a few hours here and there on larger tractors and and excavators.

Is there some sort of training I might - or should, take?

What kind of work opportunities are out there for equipment of this size? My intent is that I would use this to try and make a little money on the side here and there.

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #2  
If you are not comfortable fixing them yourself or doing routine maintenance make sure you pick a brand that has a local dealer. I would star with Kubota, Bobcat, Takeuchi, Volvo and Mustang. They all have good presence in the north east. Deere is a great machine, but I think you pay to much for the name, especially if you are using it for personal use. Kubota seems to have a good, well thought out machine. The angle back fill blade also makes it easy for the unexperienced to back fill (this is not meant to berate you :))

Puck

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #3  
I can't remember the exact relationship but Gehl and Mustang are more or less the same excavators so I would think one dealer would be able to work on the other branded excavator. I didn't look at all the specs but if you look at the excavators they look identical with the main difference being Gehl or Mustang on the machine.

If you are looking at new machines then you don't have to worry as much but if you are looking at used units and don't have much experience with excavators make sure you take someone to look the machine over well before you buy. It won't take much to put you in the poor house with a used mini excavator.

One other thing, unless you have a tie into the construction market there are a lot of people now with mini excavators and as a result there is a lot of competition. If your main reason to buy is so you can own a new toy then go for it but be prepared for a tough market if you try looking for side jobs.

AND ALWAYS CALL BEFORE YOU DIG. I don't know if the number is the same all over but we have one number to call to have all of the utilities marked and if you hit something while digging that isn't marked you are not liable. If it is marked and you hit it you will have a bill (just make sure it isn't a fiber optic line that you hit:rolleyes: )

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #4  
I was looking into the Gehl/Mustang relationship more and so far all I have found is that the Excavators have identical specs. The Gehl is 153, Mustang 1503. The only difference is the Mustang model has the 0 before the 3. Gehl is the parent company for Mustang so a Mustang dealer should be able to work on a Gehl excavator and vice versa.

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #5  
I would look into a Kubota I have had 4 Kubota over the years and I find them to be as bullet proof as you can get.
the newer super series 3s are great machine. I have a 121 on order due to be delivered week before christmas.If you can find a 121-2 it is a great machine I think the balance is a little better then 121-3. Hope this helps.

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #6  
Robert_in_NY said:
One other thing, unless you have a tie into the construction market there are a lot of people now with mini excavators and as a result there is a lot of competition. If your main reason to buy is so you can own a new toy then go for it but be prepared for a tough market if you try looking for side jobs.
Listen to what he's saying here. With residential construction being slow in New England, your competition will be increased. There seems to be alot of builders with the extra toys that are sitting idle and would be happy to put them to work for less $ than they would have a year or so ago.

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #7  
As others have said, consider after the sale service in your equation unless you're skilled at maintaining tracked vehicles. Maintenance is pretty straight forward, but you'll want some experts to fall back on. Operating one is pretty simple; half an hour of practice will have you feeling pretty confident. Many dealers have sandboxes for their customers to play in.

Why are you looking at a zero tail swing model? Not making a judgement, just curious if you have a need for one. Do you know the pros and cons of ZTS?

Another machine to consider would be one of the smaller Volvos. Up here you find them with a few hundred hours of rental time for a LOT less than new. I have a Kubota KX121-3S with a hydraulic thumb and the angle blade. Hockeypuck feels the blade is useful for inexperienced operators, but I find it incredibly useful for backdragging and for stabilizing the mini-ex on slopes, scooping silt out of drainage ditches on dirt roads that would be chewed up by excessive pivoting, etc. I also love the thumb and wouldn't buy an excavator without one. I have a 24" digging bucket and a 42" cleanout bucket. I dig up a lot of stumps and boulders so would like to add a 12" bucket to the mix.

What do you intend to do with this machine? Fill in those gaps and you'd get better advice.

Happy digging! It's the most fun you can have fully dressed!

Pete

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #8  
hi,Jim

I tried few models, deere 27,yanmar35,kubota91kx and71kx. The yanmar was great had fast hydraulics I think it had extra pump,but the muffler was on the right side of operators seat.Which was loud and they were priced highest. I was for 6500 to7000 pounds for trailering behind a pickup.I liked the kx71 and figured on buying one used. I kept looking and pricing machines. I purchased a 2008 deere 27dx with long arm thumb four buckets 30,000.
The kx71 was two buckets was 33,000 no thumb or quick attach. The deere with long arm had same spec for digging and reaching . I hope this helps

/ Buying an excavator - questions? #9  
I have a Yanmar Vio 27. It is my 4th machine. I have had Komatsu,Kobelco,and another Yanmar. The hydraulic quick connect is worth the trade. It actually has three pumps. And they are progressive. Slow and powerful and fast when empty. I noticed that they moved the exhaust up on the 08s That does sound like a mistake. Mine is down low and you can hardly hear it run. I just figured out that the 35 has the same footprint as my 27. I am thinking real hard about a swap.

/ Buying an excavator - questions?
Thanks for all of the info.

I was thinking of a zero tail spin so I could potentially get it in closer to structures - so I guess I know what one of of the benefits might be - what are the drawbacks (besides they seem more expensive)??

I would probably be looking at something in the 6000-7000 pound range so that I could tow it behind a pickup.

I do all of my own maintainence on all of my vehicles and equipment - so I would in all likelihood do all of the maintainence on an excavator if I was to purchase one too.

To be honest I do not have specific jobs in mind (yet). I was not looking to make a living with this - I would doing jobs on the side, or maybe renting it out as the opportunities arose.

What got me thinking of doing is next year I will be looking for some tax deductions. I have wanted an excavator for doing some personal work - but I cannot justify the cost on that alone. Due to my financial situation I would be able to do a large tax write off next year - and that fact combined with the possibility of getting a small business going on the side has got me thinking of an excavator.

So from my research so far it sounds like I would want the following:

- I think I want a cab, makes it easier to work in inclement weather.
- 6000-7000 pound range so I can tow behind pickup or equivalent
- angle blade for reasons previous poster mentioned
- quick connect bucket
- accessory hydraulics
- small bucket (12 or 16?) - and larger "cleanout" bucket
- thumb (I have a tractor and there are numerous times I could have used a thumb)

Things I may want:

- zero turn?? (what are plusses and minuses)