Buying Advice Buying advice on NH Boomer 40

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40 #1  

AllenArmory

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T554HST Cab
I'm looking to buy a tractor to clear my land (40 wooded acres) and don't want to spend over $20K. I would like something that can handle a root grapple. This NH Boomer 40 has popped up as a potential candidate:
New Holland Agriculture 2013 Boomer Compact 40

I know virtually nothing about New Holland. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I'd also like to know:

- What is the reliability of the Boomer 40? I only found one thread on TbN and it wasn't favorable.
- Does this have a quick attach bucket?
- Can this accept a 3rd function remote so I can attach a grapple?
- Any other benefits of the Boomer line?
- Why are New Holland and Ford in the same sub-forum? :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40 #2  
I can see the levers on the front of the unit so it is the skid steer quick attach. As far as remotes I don't see any on the rear but you need to call the dealership with your questions. Ford and New Holland had a joint venture years ago on tractors but I do not believe Ford has actually made tractors in a long time. One of my older tractors is a Ford/New Holland 1215 that is 20 years old now.

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40 #3  
Zooming in on the pictures in y pretty certain that it is SSQA equipped, which is nice. It will accept a third function or diverter to run a grapple, but doesn't appear to already have one.

That tractor seems to be made by LS in Korea. I think it's the same tractor as an LS R4041, but with a different loader. If there's not much info on the NH version, try looking up that LS model. Should be a pretty good machine, although it isn't hydrostatic, which would turn me away from it personally. Also, you should know that the price they are asking is probably 90% of what that LS model cost new, maybe more. NH charged a pretty good premium for their paint and stickers (and dealer network, I suppose).

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40
Thanks for all the replies. I called my LS dealer, and he can't come close to that price ($16K) on a 40hp tractor. The cheapest he has is a XR4040 for $23K. I looked for used LS R4041 tractors on tractorhouse.com but I didn't come up with anything in my area.

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40 #6  
Thanks for all the replies. I called my LS dealer, and he can't come close to that price ($16K) on a 40hp tractor. The cheapest he has is a XR4040 for $23K. I looked for used LS R4041 tractors on tractorhouse.com but I didn't come up with anything in my area.

Yeah, that's not too surprising. Prices keep going up. All I meant was that 3 years ago, you probably could have bought a R4041 for under $20k brand new. The NH version was a few grand more. I think that the one you linked to is probably a good value if it checks out.

/ Buying advice on NH Boomer 40 #7  

When you spoke to this dealer did you tell him the 40HP tractor for 16K was a used 2013 model? And, is the 23K quote he gave you for a new or used XR4040? I'm guessing new since I'm seeing new XR4040 gear models on line for 22-23K So no, you can't compare a new XR4040 to a 3 year old used Boomer 40 and expect the same price.
Give RCO tractor a call to see what he has in stock. He's about 227 miles south of you. He's also a member here.

Last edited:
When you spoke to this dealer did you tell him the 40HP tractor for 16K was a used 2013 model? And, is the 23K quote he gave you for a new or used XR4040? I'm guessing new since I'm seeing new XR4040 gear models on line for 22-23K So no, you can't compare a new XR4040 to a 3 year old used Boomer 40 and expect the same price.

I'm also not expecting a new 40hp tractor for $16K, but if that was 90% of the new price of an LS back in 2013, I expected the current price to be closer to $20K. They have gone up a lot more than that. In fact, the price he gave me was for a clearance model. Current models are even more expensive.

I didn't tell the LS dealer about the used Boomer. I just wanted him to quote me his best price on a XR4040.

If I'm to stay around $20K for an LS tractor, I'd be looking at a XG3037H.

Unfortunately, the Boomer 40 sold two weeks ago. The salesman just didn't take it off their website!