Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #1  

badbrad02

Tractor
farmall A
Hey all, new here, pretty cool there is actually a site for LS users, whooda thought? Well, here is where I am at. I have looked at Kubota, (all my friends tell me to do that) I have looked at John Deere, Mahindra, etc. My cousin owns a tractor shop not far from me, & he sells LS. I worked there when I was a kid, it was fun & I learned a lot. I have about 7 acres, but only mow about 2. I need something that will run a finish mower as I would like to mow about 3. I have a 1/4 mile long driveway, & see that the LS has a front snowblower (which Kubota does not?) & that is SO needed. I would love to have it ready for a backhoe, but that would be next year. I am thinking the xr4040? Good looking tractor, & I think that is all I need. Also, the front of the property, I would like to put into hay, the older I get I would like to get back into raising my own beef. Do I need hydrostat, or is a clutch sufficient? I was told I want the industrial tires for mowing lawn, not the ag or turf? Lots of questions here, but any help would be great before I drop a waad of cash on a tractor. I have had an old International A since I moved back here, its works and all, but............man, that was 1938, ya know? Thanks, hank

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #2  
Sounds like for what you describe HST will be the best choice for the tranny. I like the R4 industrial tires because they are a good compromise between the turf and ag. Front blowers are great but you may want to consider a cab so you keep the snow out of your face. A cab would also be a benefit if you got into hay. IMO you are on the right track, many think LS is the best bang for your buck right now but not many of us have a dealer close buy. Dealer support is probably more important than the brand.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #3  
Given that you only mentioned mowing and snow blowing, I'd seriously consider turf tires. Turf tires are the least damaging on grass and get the best traction on snow and ice due to the many small blocks and grooves. If you are also gong to be in the woods a lot I'd change my recommendation to industrials for more puncture resistance.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #4  
i have the XR4046 with a cab. Same amount of acres. I have horses on 3 acres. I have another temporary fence on 1 acre. I only have to cut the weeds out of the fence the horses keep it eat down. 3 horses. Depends on how many cows you have I see it hard to produce enough hay to justify the cost on just 7 acres. Tractor wise I would also suggest a cab model. When mowing it so nice not to have grass clippings, dust or anything else flying up all over you. I have a hyrdo and love it. Im not sure if it would be enough to run a hay baler or not. I would get the industrial tires. The only time you can see it mess the turf up is if you turn really sharp. I can handle that because with the hydro you can back up and make bigger turns back and forth and cant even tell.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions.
Thanks all for your advise. I stopped by my cousins shop today, & purchased an xr4040. It is a hydro. He let me drive a hydro & a stick. tried talking me into a cab, but not in the budget right now. It has the industrial tires. He is very confident in this tractor, says he has been with them for 20 years. He mentioned a couple names, farmtrac, & McCormick, & said it is a New Holland with a smaller name. I gotta tell ya, the thing is built like a brick shithouse. The guy has been around tractors since he was 12 years old. He knows his tractors. He said the engine is the same one they used to put in the New Hollands? He said it was a very good engine. I'm happy as ****, & can not wait to get that beautifull Richard Petty Blue tractor home!

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #6  
Unfortunately we won't believe you purchased said tractor without pictures :D

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #7  
Congrats on the purchase.
Unfortunately, without pics it's all hearsay.
Then too, I give him till say next January when he'll slap his forehead for not spending an extra $20 per month for the cab.
Most of us here have paid our sues with the open seat models.

Enjoy the new blue lawn ornament.
Now just watch how many new friends you find that all have needs for a tractor or a friend with one.
It's all part of the life we all love here.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #8  
Welcome to TBN........
Congrats on the new tractor (Don't forget to post pics)
I agree that getting a cab model wouldn't have cost you much more per month for payments. You'll think about that when you're blowing snow next winter.

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #9  
You won't regret the XR 4040. I skipped the HST to get to a bigger tractor and am SO glad I did. Mowing is set it and forget it for speed and for the small stuff the clutch is a bit annoying but I am fine with my gear drive tractor. We will see if that is still true this fall when I start building a road and am moving tons of gravel.

Welcome to the LS clan!

/ Buying a new tractor, thinking an xr4040.....lots of questions. #10  
I wish I had two XR4046h tractors one with a cab and one without... As wooly as parts of my 120 acres is I felt I better go without it rather than tear it up.

I love the hst, yesterday I was moving hay and my father in law who always refers to my "little tractor" was pretty amazed at how fast I could get hay off the field and in the hay pen.

Had spears on front and back, he said "you can load up two bales and be halfway back to the pen while I am still trying to square up the front spear on the first one".

With the hst I really never stopped moving, I always tried to find two bales close to each other.Back into one and immediately go forward into the next bale while raising it off the ground and head for pen. as soon as I got in the pen I dropped the back bale, put the front bale up, speared the dropped bale and put it in another row. I was putting up two bales every 4 minutes.. Last year it was five or six minutes for one bale. Same field. Don't ask me why I time myself putting up bales I just do

Also my knee is not hurting today from clutching five thousand times