Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I have to get the body panels and hood for my JD 790 in addition to changing the wheels and hubs, and misc.. Is it better to just get a salvage tractor rather than pay thousands for new parts on a 20plus old tractor.

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #3  
Over 20 years ago the HI/LO went out in my JD 2030. It also ruined the clutch housing. Local dealer that split the tractor quoted $6K to fix an $8K tractor.
I should have parted it out and moved on.
I could not find a savage tractor or the needed parts. I bought a very well used/tired tractor. Parts from it were used to fix mine. Over the next 10 years I found everything to put the tired tractor back together, but it's not worth much, being almost 50 years old. I probably spent $8-10K (but have two tractors) that would have been better spent on another tractor.

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #4  
Seems that most things I have acquired and was going to fix up after all the buying of parts and untold hours of labor it was probably cheaper to buy new....

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #5  
Sometimes its better. We had a Mack that the window track was broke. 900 for a new one. 700 for a running truck that had a good one. Plus good engine, trans, rear ends, body, tires, heat AC, straight truck.

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts
Seems that most things I have acquired and was going to fix up after all the buying of parts and untold hours of labor it was probably cheaper to buy new....
My labor is free so no problem there, it's the shipping that's got me hesitating...

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #7  
Always keep in mind with a salvage unit, it may have been flogged to death.

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #8  
I have to get the body panels and hood for my JD 790 in addition to changing the wheels and hubs, and misc.. Is it better to just get a salvage tractor rather than pay thousands for new parts on a 20plus old tractor.
Probably depends on the price of the parts. Can you get salvage yard parts?

I had an old IH2500b tractor loader. I wanted to get it in running condition before I sold it. We have a very good IH salvage yard nearby. I needed about $1500 in parts to get it to be a $3000 running machine. The salvage yard guy said why don't you NOT buy $1500 in parts and sell HIM the machine for $1500? Hmmm. Makes perfect sense. SOLD!

So look for a salvage yard if you can. If not local, most ship nationally.

I don't know if I'd get an entire machine just for the parts unless it's at a really good price.

/ Buy a salvage tractor vs just buying parts #9  
Probably depends on the price of the parts. Can you get salvage yard parts?

I had an old IH2500b tractor loader. I wanted to get it in running condition before I sold it. We have a very good IH salvage yard nearby. I needed about $1500 in parts to get it to be a $3000 running machine. The salvage yard guy said why don't you NOT buy $1500 in parts and sell HIM the machine for $1500? Hmmm. Makes perfect sense. SOLD!

So look for a salvage yard if you can. If not local, most ship nationally.

I don't know if I'd get an entire machine just for the parts unless it's at a really good price.
Yes you do and I've visited it before, right off Route 6 if I remember correctly.