Business help

/ Business help #31  
I mentioned it more than once. I knew a guy who made ponds for little old ladies. Didn't own a piece of equipment, never got his hands dirty and made a pile of money. Rented brand new stuff and hired operators and guys (I was a pump man) as he needed them.

/ Business help #32  
How much more money would have made if he was paying himself the rental payment over someone else? It’s probably 3 days rental to equal the monthly payments. And renting is a pain. You could only rent a backhoe for half a year for what I own mine for. Renting a 50 series mini is over $400 a day locally. Renting big iron you might use once is a good plan but renting your every day equipment isn’t. That’s like using Uber everyday vs owning your own vehicle. I just bought my own bucket truck because I need one about once a month and it’s 300 a day to rent and most of my once a month projects would be a strain to do in a day. My backhoe cost me about 2 dollars to sit for a day doing nothing if an unexpected rain storm blows in.

/ Business help #33  
Don't get me wrong. I don't rent equipment. In fact I will buy absurd, seldom used equipment instead of renting it.

But this guy also didn't have huge repair bills or equipment down. He didn't have grease under his finger nails. Or blackened ones. lol

I know people who have way too much equipment for the amount of money they are making. It's like, a lot of the money they make just buys more equipment and really isn't making them rich.

I am self employed and never really succeeded beyond having my own job. To me success is not just about feeding yourself, providing the comforts of life, but having money and liquidity, which can buy you freedom. Like some people I know, having thirty pieces of equipment in the yard isn't freedom.

/ Business help #34  
I know people who have way too much equipment for the amount of money they are making. It's like, a lot of the money they make just buys more equipment and really isn't making them rich.

That guy would be me. Some people buy expensive cars or designer clothing. I buy tools and equipment.

/ Business help #35  
Well me too. Sorry, I never finished my last post. I have to form it in bits and pieces or my computer crashes.

The good thing is that my tools and equipment (the stuff I love) were largely tax write offs. I don't own a watch or jewelry, and don't care to. I ask the car dealer, how much if you take off the chrome? I have had chrome wheels taken off a new vehicle. To me, that's just worthless, pretentious garbage.

Speaking of which. I watched some documentaries on Warren Buffet. Facinating!

Last edited: