Bush Hog

/ Bush Hog #1  

misterg33

Tractor
kubota b2100/kubota mx5000
greetings from hopewell junction n.y.this is my first post though i have been a regular reader.I have a Kubota B2100 w/a manual tran. and 4 wheel drive.Also the kubota front end loader is installed.At present i am using the tractor to maintain my yard (1.5 acres)w/a kubota 54" belly mount mower.I now need to cut some fields on some property my wife and i are buying. Out of approx. 135 acres 12-15 will need to be cut. My question is what size cutter can the b2100 handle.Thanks for any help you may have to offer.misterg33

/ Bush Hog #2  
welcome. this is a fun and informative place. i've been researching brush hogs and i would guess yours would take a 3.5' to 4' cutter max. check your owner's manual. i'll leave it to others to comment on whether you have the right tractor to cut that many acres. i worked for 3 years for the largest employer in hopewell junction.

glenn

/ Bush Hog #3  
I'll say go for at least the next size wider than the rear tires on your tractor; a 4' one? I was well pleased with the 4' model behind my B7100, but moved up to a 5' one with the B2710 because my back tires are about 54" wide.

Bird

/ Bush Hog #4  
I have a B1700, and I use a 4 foot bushhog (King Kutter brand). It cuts grass, and only grass as I never use it for anything heavier than grass, with ease. I have cut grass 3 feet high without difficulty. For my use, I could have gone to a 5 footer and still been able to power through my fields. If I wanted to cut bush or heavier stuff I would stick to a 4 footer.

/ Bush Hog #5  
I would concur with Bird, I like the cut to be at least as wide as the width of the rear tires. I think your machine would handle a 4' or 5' with no problem especially if you leave the loader on ( weight on front end )/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Bush Hog #6  
We used to swap out our Woods belly-mounted mower on my L185 for a 4' Bush Hog from time to time to tackle pastures 1x or 2x each year, which may have been too much Bush Hog for that tractor to handle. I will say, however, that we probably spent more time swapping out each piece than if I had just stayed on top of mowing the pastures.

/ Bush Hog #7  
I run a 4' bush hog on the back of my B7100. No problems at all other than the tractor does lug a bit going up some hills I have to deal with. I think you need to look at what you'll be cutting - grass, brush, combination - look at the terrain you'll be working on - flat, hills, combination - and then ask your favorite Kubota dealer for a suggestion.

Kubota actually recommends the 42" rotary cutter for the B7100, but most dealers I've talked to will tell you it can handle the 4' cutter as long as you take it "relatively slow". A 5' cutter might be a lot for a B2100 to handle, but it's probably worth a phone call to your local Kubota store to talk it over.

Bob Pence

/ Bush Hog
it would apppear that the 4' cutter is the way to go...my dealer claims that the tractor will handle it...i will be cutting a combination of field grass and brush...i'll just have to experiment to find the right gear/speed combo...got to go do my 50 hr maint. and look thru the "bush hog"catalogs...thanks for everyones imput....misterg33