Rotary Cutter Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help

/ Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I just purchased a used but very nice BH286 bush hog. I was trying to loosen clutch to reset it and realized its froze up. Anyone ever take one of these apart thats froze up? Just curious as to what to expect.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help
Thanks. Cutter is like new as guy never used it but sitting outside for 10 years hasn't helped I'm sure.

/ Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help #4  
If the clutch plates are just a bit rusted and stuck, that is normal after it sits up for a while. Loosen up all of the springs and then vigorously engage and disengage the PTO a few times. This will usually break it loose and "polish" the pressure plates. In extreme cases, you may need to lower the hog on some thick grass while the PTO is spun up to break it loose. Don't run it too long with the springs loose, or you run the risk of overheating the plates. You'll know it's freed up because it will get hot fast and often smoke a bit. Once it loosens and spins freely, reset the springs to the recommended length. See page 13, sect. 4-6 in the attached.

- Jay

Attachments

• Bush Hog 280.pdf
    854.9 KB · Views: 183
Yeah I have tried all that but no luck. Even mowed 5 acres with all nuts totally loose an still no luck. My other 286 will just spin free when doing this as there is no friction at all.

Gonna plan just to take it apart and lightly sand the surfaces for a second. I called BH a few days ago and he said it happens all the time with everyones slip clutches. Let um sit in rain long enough without them ever slipping and they will fuse together.

/ Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help #7  
I did the same thing on another brand. Had to do as you said, take it apart and clean up the plates. I used a wire wheel rather than a sander. I didn't have a manual so prior to dismantling, I measured the length of the compressed springs and reset the torque to that length when finished.

After that, when I was ready to use the machine for the season I did as J mentioned to polish up the plates. Other thing I did was to keep it under a shed to keep the rain off it.

My preference however is the shear bolt as I don't have to worry about will it slip or not. Little trouble when having to change, but for me that is worth the mental comfort and happens seldom where I mow.

Mark

I did the same thing on another brand. Had to do as you said, take it apart and clean up the plates. I used a wire wheel rather than a sander. I didn't have a manual so prior to dismantling, I measured the length of the compressed springs and reset the torque to that length when finished. After that, when I was ready to use the machine for the season I did as J mentioned to polish up the plates. Other thing I did was to keep it under a shed to keep the rain off it. My preference however is the shear bolt as I don't have to worry about will it slip or not. Little trouble when having to change, but for me that is worth the mental comfort and happens seldom where I mow. Mark

I know what you mean on the mental assurance. However, if you loosen it and spin it once per year you will have no issues. I do this every year and works great. BUT you do have to maint it once per season.

/ Bush Hog 286 slip clutch help #9  
I just wish that the little sheet metal cover over the clutch did a better job of keeping it dry so you didn't have to do the annual loosen-slip-tighten exercise!!

- Jay

I just wish that the little sheet metal cover over the clutch did a better job of keeping it dry so you didn't have to do the annual loosen-slip-tighten exercise!! - Jay

Good point but I guess its more of moisture in air than actual rain water as mine is covered pretty well. Good point though.