Burning Slash!

/ Burning Slash! #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
Over the weekend I decided to burn the last of 5 slash piles left behind by the loggers when they logged my property back in the winter of 2018/19. This pile was the largest as it was formed when they loaded the trucks. The loggers brought the trees to this location, where they were limbed and cut to length. This pile was shaped like a lazy "L" and on the side of a hill. It measured roughly about 60 feet long (counting the bottom of the 'L'), by 20 feet wide, by about 9ft high on the uphill side. Made up of limbs, stumps, cut off pieces of logs, and logs apparently too small for the mill. But mostly, MUD. A Very large pile!

I started a small fire next to the large pile using dry tinder and a cardboard box. Once it got going, I started adding the wet wood from the pile. We still have a bit of snow!
I snapped these photos just after the fire really started to roll. A light breeze kicked up, turning the fire into a jet engine! It was all I could do to keep up with the fire!
20230324_110831.jpg

20230324_110829.jpg
20230324_110834.jpg

I tried taking these next photos in the same spot as the one above, 3 days later.

20230326_145006.jpg

20230326_145009.jpg

20230326_145013.jpg

Not much left of the pile. What is left is actually frozen mud and sticks. I don't see any large logs left in there, so when it warms up and dries out some, I'll simply spread it out and plant some grass seed. Need to smooth out the ruts anyway. The mud was horrible!

20230326_145016.jpg

The tractor did very well considering the abuse I was giving it! The only thing that went wrong was the grapple actually popped off while I was trying to pull on some logs. It stretched the hydraulic lines tight but didn't break them. I unhooked the grapple and used a chain to lift it out and move to more flat, dry land to reattach.

20230326_162053.jpg

I was planning on this pile taking me a few weekends to knock out. I've been dreading it for YEARS! But it went very well, only taking me 3 days to "complete" (I say that in quotes because its not done just yet. I still need to do something with those stumps (I did burn one and its still smoldering and mostly intact, stumps dont burn well) and the rest of the frozen pile, which isnt much). I considered taking the snow blower off, but it's so heavy, it acted like a great counter weight helping the tractor lift some very heavy logs.

A quick note about logging if you are a property owner: Don't do it. It's been a nightmare getting it cleaned up, getting screwed by the loggers, and dealing with the government. I didn't make that much money from the logs to warrant this. Just my opinion.

/ Burning Slash! #2  
We are doing woodlot maintenance ourselves. Looks like an EA grapple - what's the grapple is it the heavy duty and what size??

You're brave... I dont go in mud with my tractor if I can help it. Snow is melted and ground pretty soft right now so cutting logs and making fire wood here.

/ Burning Slash! #3  
A quick note about logging if you are a property owner: Don't do it. It's been a nightmare getting it cleaned up, getting screwed by the loggers, and dealing with the government. I didn't make that much money from the logs to warrant this. Just my opinion.
I get solicited constantly from loggers want to selective cut our 53 hardwood acres in northern Michigan and I round file them all. I've see first hand what they do and what they leave behind. It can stay exactly like it is. besides, it's prime hunting ground. Down the road a bit from us was a selective cut piece and it looked like a lunar landscape. Terrible.

Your tractor is a certified mudball...lol

/ Burning Slash!
We are doing woodlot maintenance ourselves. Looks like an EA grapple - what's the grapple is it the heavy duty and what size??

You're brave... I dont go in mud with my tractor if I can help it. Snow is melted and ground pretty soft right now so cutting logs and making fire wood here.
It is an EA. I did a video when I received it.

My tractor is always in the mud this time of year. :(

/ Burning Slash! #6  
Nicely done considering conditions...washer could come in handy. ;)

/ Burning Slash! #7  
I set the piles on fire and push the edges in so it is pretty much over in 6-8 hours.

/ Burning Slash!
I set the piles on fire and push the edges in so it is pretty much over in 6-8 hours.

Typically I do the same. But this pile was so old it was mostly mud from the decomp. I had to sift through the pile, picking out the wood to put on the fire. Its not easy burning in the snow. I'm glad I'm finally done!

/ Burning Slash! #9  
Chains on a 4 helps.