Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately?

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #1  

MF243RedTop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 243
My friend thinned his pines about 3 yrs ago... Behind where the fire is burning there's planted pine saplings where the loading brow was.. he wanted to see them better.
Well a little fire took care of that.
Established break and backfire behind the smoke and fire in pics.
IMG_20221213_161110026.jpg

IMG_20221213_161115126.jpg
IMG_20221213_161124456.jpg
IMG_20221213_161539179.jpg

IMG_20221213_161632487.jpg

Nothing better than a pine on fire that far up😲😲

Last edited:
   / Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #2  
As a past volunteer fire fighter, that looks scary

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately?
Yup....get that a lot if you are not experienced in burning off acreage of woods. It was very safe and controlled cleaning burn. Firebreaks and backfire established well ahead..

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #4  
Would love to see the view now.

I got to head over there tomorrow I'll snap a couple pics of the clean burn

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #6  
I have never burned anything but burn piles. I have seen too many wildfires and the results of those fires to ever want to even do controlled burns, even though they are necessary. In fact, it is obvious people have stopped fires too many times and now our forests and other areas are loaded up with fuel.
That said, we had a pretty good windstorm here in the PNW about a month ago. No power for 4 days. Lines across my 2 driveways for 3 of those days. And we had 24 trees blow down. And when a tree comes down so do all those branches. So my wife and I have been collecting small branches and burning them.
Fortunately almost all of the trees that blew down were not conifers. Lots of conifer branches though. Anyway, we have had several fires in our big fire ring to get rid of the branches. We do have a chipper but it is a pain to use. And the local rental place closed up so no we would need to drive 60 miles to rent a big chipper. Hence the burning.
I use a squirrel cage fan that must be 70 years old if it is a day to provide a good wind for the fires. So I get the fire going with a weed burner, plug in the ancient fan, (hey, it's 4 years older than me so it must be ancient) and let it blow. Once the fire gets going and the fan is blowing the green stuff is converted to ash remarkably fast. And it is good white ash, no carbon left, so the volume is tiny.
So any branch larger than 1.5 inches in diameter is saved while the rest gets burned. We will have plenty of wood for heat next winter. 24 trees! Lotsa wood and debris.
Eric

I use a squirrel cage fan that must be 70 years old if it is a day to provide a good wind for the fires. So I get the fire going with a weed burner, plug in the ancient fan, (hey, it's 4 years older than me so it must be ancient) and let it blow. Once the fire gets going and the fan is blowing the green stuff is converted to ash remarkably fast. And it is good white ash, no carbon left, so the volume is tiny.
So any branch larger than 1.5 inches in diameter is saved while the rest gets burned. We will have plenty of wood for heat next winter. 24 trees! Lotsa wood and debris.
Eric
I've used my 2 stroke leaf blower, lock the throttle wide open and set it up where you want to get a spot hot in a fire on a pile...Works fairly well.

Burning acreage is not for the faint hearted. Wind speed, direction (steady or variable) and humidity... Are the 3 biggest factors we look at.. good fire breaks and well established backfires are a must..

Largest area I've ever helped burn was about 85 acres of mature pines that hadn't seen fire in about 40 yrs... That was a fire I won't ever forget.

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #8  
My friend thinned his pines about 3 yrs ago... Behind where the fire is burning there's planted pine saplings where the loading brow was.. he wanted to see them better.
Well a little fire took care of that.
Established break and backfire behind the smoke and fire in pics.
View attachment 774490
View attachment 774491View attachment 774493View attachment 774494

View attachment 774495
Nothing better than a pine on fire that far up😲😲
Nice. The pine is burning up the stem because it had some kind of damage that caused the sap to ooze and flow. The fire is burning the sap which has turpentines in it.

These are improved slash pines, cankers, disease spots are common on them. Tried to mark as many as he could when it was thinned... Got a lot but still a good many out there .. about 55 acres of planted pines.

What's fun is trying to put those out that happen to be on fire next to a fire break... Handfuls of dirt, shovels, water in a sprayer manual and powered... even have cut a couple down before.

/ Burned about 3-4 acre's today...What have you burned lately? #10  
Way, way, way out of my league... looking forward to seeing the "after" photos.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter