Building an outdoor masonry oven

/ Building an outdoor masonry oven #1  

mooch

I am going to be starting my wood fired bread oven project. I live in pa. All of my research so far does not have a footer below the frost line even in cold climates. The structure will be approx. 5 x 8 feet built on a slab with 8" block as the base and the oven at working height. Most info says in cold climates to just put 2" insulation under the slab and it will be fine. Do I need to put a footer and foundation below the frost line or is that just total overkill?

thanks

/ Building an outdoor masonry oven #3  
With no exterior heat added the insulation under the slab will really do nothing.:)

/ Building an outdoor masonry oven
Thanks for the links, I have most of my plans. I was just wondering if anybody would put such a structure on a footer below frost line or since it is a relatively small footprint just use a slab.

/ Building an outdoor masonry oven #6  
I am going to be starting my wood fired bread oven project. I live in pa. All of my research so far does not have a footer below the frost line even in cold climates. The structure will be approx. 5 x 8 feet built on a slab with 8" block as the base and the oven at working height. Most info says in cold climates to just put 2" insulation under the slab and it will be fine. Do I need to put a footer and foundation below the frost line or is that just total overkill?

thanks

Are you going Pompeii style or other type?
Here's my build.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/195199-patio-outdoor-kitchen-project.html

As far as the footer goes, I've heard it both ways. I would play it safe myself.

/ Building an outdoor masonry oven #7  
   / Building an outdoor masonry oven #8  
Good luck post some pics. I will be starting mine soon. I hope:licking: