Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans???

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
We are wanting to build a Shop and Home combined in one structure at our farm. Would really like to hear from anyone that has done something similar. All pictures and ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!

Terry is mostly concerned with the outside appearance as women usually are. I'm mostly concerned about controlling odors and noise.

Thinking of 1500-1800 sqft living area and 2000 sqft shop space.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and suggestions!!!

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #2  
I don't know how you got away with building a bigger shop than house? :D

Why are you putting it together. Less noise and odors if it were two seperate buildings.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans???
I don't know how you got away with building a bigger shop than house? :D

Why are you putting it together. Less noise and odors if it were two seperate buildings.

Costs. I think I can save considerable costs doing it this way. But we'll let the experts chime in and verify or disprove that. :)

I plan to sell the 20 acre property we live on and use that money to build at the farm. No debt. I think my home property will bring $225K.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #4  
I think the first thing you will want to do is to check to see what building codes will apply to each type of structure where you want to build. I suspect that the requirements for the house will make the cost per square foot a lot higher than the shop.

I think the first thing you will want to do is to check to see what building codes will apply to each type of structure where you want to build. I suspect that the requirements for the house will make the cost per square foot a lot higher than the shop.

We're pretty backwoods. No codes to meet. No permit required.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #6  
I've built one house with an attached shop. House was ~2700 sq. ft. , shop was 540. Eventually converted the shop to a pantry and office, and put a 1320 sq ft metal building farther back on the property. This had benefits beyond the extra space. Shop dust and grime no longer migrated to the house, noise in the house was substantially reduced, and our homeowner's insurance went down because I was no longer "welding in the house".

We didn't even consider another attached shop after that.

I've built one house with an attached shop. House was ~2700 sq. ft. , shop was 540. Eventually converted the shop to a pantry and office, and put a 1320 sq ft metal building farther back on the property. This had benefits beyond the extra space. Shop dust and grime no longer migrated to the house, noise in the house was substantially reduced, and our homeowner's insurance went down because I was no longer "welding in the house".

We didn't even consider another attached shop after that.

Those are my concerns as well.

In a brief conversation with my insurance guy he said that wasn't a problem. He actually said it's easier to insure a structure with a "flame" in it if it's lived in. Go figure.

In regards to odors I wouldn't have a door directly between the two. Tentatively looking at an 8x12 "mud room" with a door at each end for access.

We currently live in 2000 sqft with a 570 sqft attached garage. Years ago that was my "shop" until I built a separate building. Direct entry into the Dining Room. That didn't work well.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #8  
Unless you are looking at 1st floor shop with 2nd floor living I doubt you'll save much if anything combining them. If you are thinking of house on top, think about age and climbing those stairs in 10 or 20 or 30 years. With your location, the building sizes, no permits, you probably wouldn't have much issue building both separate for your budget especially if you're doing part of the work yourself.

Unless you are looking at 1st floor shop with 2nd floor living I doubt you'll save much if anything combining them. If you are thinking of house on top, think about age and climbing those stairs in 10 or 20 or 30 years. With your location, the building sizes, no permits, you probably wouldn't have much issue building both separate for your budget especially if you're doing part of the work yourself.

Sorry, I should have made that point, I'm talking all on the same level. No stairs regardless of what we do.

You may be right about the savings. I don't know. That's why I wanted to discuss this. Am hoping to get some involvement from someone that's lived in one or still living in one.

Thanks for everyone for the input. It's all good.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #10  
4000sqft Mueller Steel building...2000 living/2000 shop 3bd/3ba

IMG_0440.JPGIMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG