Buddy seat finally available!!

/ Buddy seat finally available!! #21  
We ordered one a couple years ago and it took a year to get it. I remember having to change the range shift lever or something so it wouldn't hit the seat. Someone else wanted one and we were told it was discontinued and no longer available, so I made one for them. Glad to hear it's available again.

/ Buddy seat finally available!! #22  
I was actually talking with the wife about adding a buddy seat or something for my Son to ride along with me. As stated, its invaluable for training. We determined... well, I determined that we need a bigger tractor. 👍:D

I remember sitting on the fender of our little tractor, an open platform 70s era IH with FEL. Not an ideal seat, but was comfortable enough for a 9 yr old. The other machinery, was either on grandpa's lap or leaning on the inside of the fender. Never had a buddy seat in anything. I started working for a harvest crew in high school, and our combines had buddy seats. I remember thinking "what are these for?" I only used mine for my lunch box! Now, I really want one in my tractor, but there is simply no room.
As a 4 year old and again as a 10 year old spending summer on grandparents farm the buddy seat on the fender was highly sought after…

/ Buddy seat finally available!! #23  
this is awesome. Can you give me part numbers or details on how to get one ? Thank you very much.
Welcome. I did this search on eBay, in about 15 seconds...

/ Buddy seat finally available!! #24  
I would have to lean against stand/on the fender and tranny to ride on the case 630 tractor or sit on the fender in the cab of the leyland 270. By the time the new 6600 cabbed ford rolled around, I was starting to operate them, but sat on the tool box in the cab of the 6600 occasionally. When the low hour 6710 ford came along, I was a seasoned operator.

Now, my grandson rides in the LS with me on the flat platform on the left side of the cab. He uses the window latch handle and the back of the seat for hand-holds.

/ Buddy seat finally available!! #25  
Talk about resurrecting an old thread!

For me, my young son is now 5! And is a bit too big to ride with me in the cab. Short of making a buddy seat (Or spending several hundreds on ebay for a seat not made for my tractor) we have tried everything. A pillow wedged between the range selector and main seat seemed to work well, for a while. But then he would complain about how uncomfortable it was. And for a small child who LOVES tractors and loves to ride-along, that's some serious uncomfort.

I now have a second son, who is 2, who is also in love with tractors. But has yet to build up the courage to ride in the cab. Even on my lap.

When my oldest does ride along now, he sits on the right side of my seat, splitting the seat with me, pressed up against the console, in the way of my arm operating the controls (he is getting better at doing that for me), with nothing much to hold on to. He doesn't last long before he wants off the tractor.

I'd be willing to explore this buddy seat thing again. I believe it's extremely important to have children ride-along. From a safety standpoint, they will be out there with us working. They are little vacuums, sucking up all the knowledge. For my children, if someone is working outside or in the shop, they want to be right there. So they will either be running round the tractor, playing, getting into the way, hiding in blind spots, or they will be in the cab. Another reason it is so important is the general knowledge of how things work. Seeing that 'ah-ha' moment when something clicks for them. They finally understand, to some degree, that the rototiller turns up the ground and makes it ready to plant. Or the bucket lifts the scoop of gravel to spread on their playground. Education should come from doing and observing the real world, not from a tablet or cartoon. But probably the most important reason to have my small sons ride-along with me is, I don't get to spend much time with them. They are in school, asleep, or I'm busy doing chores or projects. Any moment I get to spend with them, is gold. If that means killing two birds with one stone: getting projects done and spending time with them with something they are interested in doing, thats a win!
But the real reason I want a buddy seat is so they can learn what I'm doing so I can go sit on the porch with a glass of lemonade and watch them do the projects! ;)

Yeah... It's not a high priority at the moment, but I should really look at installing a buddy seat.