Buckwheat Pancakes

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
These have a lot more heft to them than flour pancakes or "buckwheat" pancakes where a bit of buckwheat is mixed in with wheat flour.

2 cups buckwheat flour
2 cups milk or nonfat milk
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg

Mix the dry stuff together.
Mix the wet stuff together.
Then mix both together.

Don't mix it too much and do not worry about lumps.

During the summer I add chopped up blackberries or strawberries to the mix.

For cooking, I use a cheap ($25) electric griddle that keeps heat on 325 degees, foolproof. Use a measuring cup, pour the mix out onto preheated griddle. In a few minutes the pancakes will rise a bit, and the top will bubble a bit, that means turn them over. Cook just a few minutes more.

Serve with honey, agave, maple syrup, jam, whatever.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #2  
I haven't had any buckwheat pancakes since I ate them at my paternal grandmother's house in my pre-teen years; long time ago.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #3  
Now that sounds GOOD!! Bob

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #4  
My kids and grandkids love buckwheat pancakes - and the also love cattail pancakes.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #5  
Buckwheat pancakes have always been my favorite, even today. And my wife, having grown up on a farm, really know how to make genuine buckwheat pancakes. :licking:

I rarely order white flour pancakes when occasional eating out. There're not near as tasty as buckwheat pancakes.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #6  
My kids and grandkids love buckwheat pancakes - and the also love cattail pancakes.

OK, I never heard of cattail pancakes, so had to look up the recipe on the Internet.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #8  
Where do you get the buckwheat flour? I was in 2 Walmarts this morning and I couldn't find any. My wife says she still remembers trying buckwheat pancakes and no on in her family would eat them except her dad.

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #9  
Haven't had em for years. But loved them every time I got a chance. :)

/ Buckwheat Pancakes #10  
Where do you get the buckwheat flour? I was in 2 Walmarts this morning and I couldn't find any. My wife says she still remembers trying buckwheat pancakes and no on in her family would eat them except her dad.
Fortunately we still have a couple of mom and pop grocery stores in my area. One is Amish owned and is our reliable source of buckwheat pancake flour.