Bucket Tusks?!

/ Bucket Tusks?! #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I did the search function, many pages of unrelated postings. (what's with that?)

At any rate. I need to "re stack" my fuel wood log pile. 7-8 chord of hardwood. Most are too big and too heavy ;-)
I thought to use the FEL bucket , but add some shorty forks.

To that end, I purchased a couple of lengths (28 inches) of heavy wall 2X2 that I thought to through bolt to the bottom of the bucket. On closer inspection, the bottom of the bucket (Allied 195 loader with std bucket) has a double angle bottom. Less than ideal for bottom bolting, as the flat section between the cutting edge and the "kink" is a bit short for my liking.

I could bolt up the "tusks" to the side walls of the bucket, but since there is a change of plans, I thought to solicit "good ideas".
My first plan was to weld on necessary tabs to lock the "tusks" into the cutting bar both bottom and side, and then bolt the inner end to the bottom or side of the bucket. I may still go this way .

My plan was to project the mini forks from the bucket about 18". No More. Just enough to cradle a single log.

Anyone have a connection to a useful previous link? Or a good and wonderful idea? ;-)

TIA

Cal

/ Bucket Tusks?! #2  
I did this exact thing on my Mahindra, but I keep forgetting to take pictures of it. I'll try to remember to get some this weekend and post them.

They work fantastic, sooo helpful for moving logs around.

/ Bucket Tusks?! #3  
I've collected a bunch of photos of what I think of as tusks. Usually shorter and usually bottom corner mounted.

Probably most are from TBN, but I didn't record whose they were.

Bruce

aloader02.jpg aloader01.jpg AngleIronforkoutside.JPG AngleIronforkinside.JPG DSC00013.JPG AngleIronbucketforks.jpg DSC00012.JPG

/ Bucket Tusks?! #4  
more

IMG_3747_resize.JPG IMG_3748_resize.JPG otherprojects3.jpg PB040001.JPG Spading garden 2.JPG Spading garden 3.JPG springfork.JPG

/ Bucket Tusks?! #5  
Get some ~12" long pieces of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" angle. Weld to the bucket bottom, and bucket side. This forms a 2" square pocket to insert the fork in. Then a single bolt, threaded only into the tube, behind the pocket to keep the fork from falling out.

I suppose a piece of 2-1/2" square tube would also work in similar fashion. Let me see if I can find some pics of mine, If not, I'll take some.

/ Bucket Tusks?! #6  
Best pic I can find. You can see the angle forming the square pocket, and the bolt in the back behind the pocket that holds the fork in. What is in there now are just "stubs" to keep the dirt out so when I do need to put the fork in I dont have to pound out a bunch of dirt. The actual forks look just the same, only stick out ~20" from the edge

E41A0076.JPG

/ Bucket Tusks?!
Thanks for all the good photos!

I bolted 28" lengths of 2X2 heavy wall square tubing to the inside of the bucket side walls. They stick out from the cutting edge 18 inches. A pair of 5/8ths bolts do the securing.
I used one of those step drills (Uni-bit) to open up the pilot hole in the bucket. THe steel seems to be a shade tougher than common plate.

Used them today to let down some of the risk in the log pile. Moved a bunch or short lengths too. They worked well. A bit hard to see, but that will come I'm sure.
Maxed out the hydro pressure relief and didn't tear anything up. That's good ;-)

Now I just hope I don't forget they are on and run 'em into a building or such.

/ Bucket Tusks?! #8  
Something like this works ok-ish, two 1/2" caseharden bolts in both with a lip that rest on the bucket cutting edge, when I take them off, I put two 1/2" x 1/2" back in the bucket on both sides to protect the threads. I also have two longer forks for pellets, they are clamp on's, actually I have several at several lengths.
But the most important thing is the upper arms to keep logs from rolling back towards operator, mine are pined on.

video 213 8 3 17 29 7 - YouTube