Tiller Brushhog tiller bearing/sideplate failure

/ Brushhog tiller bearing/sideplate failure #1  

tawilson

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250 Kubota U25s
I just noticed the shaft on my RTS62 has some play in it where it comes out of the chain drive. The side plate is cracked where it goes around the shaft. Not sure if the bearings are bad too. Anybody ever have this problem, and is it something I want to repair myself? It's probably caused by all the rocks I've banged into. The chain area had lot's of grease in it, and I changed it a couple of years ago. I've got a couple of small gardens to till then I'm going to fix it, just not sure if it's a dealer repair. Sure will be a messy job tearing it apart.

/ Brushhog tiller bearing/sideplate failure #2  
I havn't had that unit apart.. but from guessing as you described it.. if that shaft is supported by a bearing on the other side of the plate.. and there is up/down / in/out movement ont he shaft.. then yes.. the bearing is loose.. or the bearing carrier is loose.. eventually when the play reaches a certain point.. the seal will fail. normally oil would then leak out... however I doubt grease will.. still.. i fthe seal fails.. dirt gets in.. grease and dirt mixed together is an awesome grinding compound.. not too long afterwards all the metal bits int he gear box will be loosing dimensions and OD's will shrink.. teeth will round off.. chains will wear.. other bearings will fail.. other seals will fail.. eventually the drive line will have enought play and vibration and will be imballanced and fail.

Soundguy