Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #1  

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
The walk behind brush mowers are expensive but of even more concern is I see them on Craigslist for sell with 9 hours of use and are 4 years old or 10 years old with 50 hours of use.

Do they not work well or demand that you be well to work them? The sellers often are well out of their prime. They seem to range 10-20 HP and 2 foot +/- cutting decks. Some claim to be good for cutting stuff up to 2".

With 60 HP heavy tractor and a very heavy 7' bush hog a 2" bush/tree sounds aweful. Not sure I would want to be standing 2' from the action.

What experiences have you had first hand or second hand with this class of brush control equipment?

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #2  
They work... but will also work you out.

People buy them and think you can run them one handed like you see in the adds,.... not so much. Then they come up for sale.

Bottom line, they work well for what they are. If it can push it over it'll cut it. Just be prepared for the workout.

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #3  

People buy them and think you can run them one handed like you see in the adds,.... not so much. Then they come up for sale.

Bottom line, they work well for what they are. If it can push it over it'll cut it. Just be prepared for the workout.
I agree. I have 470 hours on my 1996 8HP DR Field & Brush Mower and 700 hours on my 2002 15 HP DR Field & Brush Mower. All hours enjoyed personally by me!

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog
Wow! that may be a record. Thanks.

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #5  
I have logged quite a few hours behind an old gravely super 8 (I think that is what it was. Electric start, ~8HP, 8 wheel speeds, 2 PTO speeds) with a 30" deck and very much agree with that statement. If it would push it over, it could cut it. You might have to back off and let the RPMs catch back up, but it would cut anything it could push over.
I ran it with one hand on the LH lever (next to the throttle) and one on the RH fwd/rev lever.

Aaron Z

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #6  
They work very well. If you are just mowing a flat field, they are not too hard on you. If you are mowing steep trails, hillsides, rutted areas, they are hard work.

Ken

I bought an old 17 HP DR brush lower and loaded yesterrday.. stone mountain park was only 15 miles away so it took10 hours to go 15 hours.:) Yes I have the kids with me and they loved the snow tubing.

Chattanooga has their attention for today so it will be Sun or later before I get it unloaded.

Well we got the 17 HP DR ALL-TERRAIN Field and Brush mower home late last night from the Atlanta GA area and the kids are pushing for me to get another 'toy'. :D

Last night from Chattanooga to home was some solid major rain storms but we topped of with gas and grabbed some sandwiches after we got down off the mountain and ran hard non stop and got home about 11 PM with temps down to 40 and dropping like a rock.

Kids had a great time on Stone Mountain that was 15 miles from where we picked up the used walk behind DR Field and Brush mowerFriday morning. They have huge snow covered inner tube runs and the kids when over and over. After about 8 hours in the park we made it to Chattanooga and got up Saturday and started over at the TN Aquarium and did a two hour river cruise in a 65 boat that did up to 50 MPH 3500 HP by CAT). We got to see Bald Eagles (they are not really bald) and a lot of other birds. After that we did Ruby Falls cave and got on the road at 6:30 PM last night.

The rain had stopped before we got to the house but it was too late and cold to try and unload it in the dark so after this snow it may set on the PU for a few days. We put the battery charger on it and got it started in the truck and let it run for about 30 minutes. The owner had started it and loaded it so I knew it ran. The choke is sticking open so I will look at that but it may be from setting or cable adjustment. By the end of the week the weather may let us get it into the woods. I want to drain out the gas and change the oil ASAP.

Just a quick look with a flashlight last night with it setting in the truck the engine looks clean and I think the 50-75 hours of run time stated may be about right. The metal slides on the bush hog deck show a lot of wear but we are talking Stone Mountain area so the brush deck was sliding on rock a lot I expect. The 42" mower deck he said was only used one hour and the paint is still on the blades. The brush deck just has one very heavy blade.

What is funny is he said he purchased it about 12 years ago and it set for six years until this past September when he used it some BUT the DR manual was printed in 2004 and Kawasaki paper factory manual was printed in 2001. While I know he could have orderd a replacement manual from DR the photos do match our mower.

With the falling snow I kind of wish I had the blade attachment to play with but then I would want a set of tire chains. :D

I am glad we pushed on and got home before this snow storm.

/ Brush Mowers for places too small for bushhog #9  
If it can take a blade, it definitely is NOT that old. My DR is from 1999 and can not take the implements. I think that option came out a few years later.

42"???? Are you talking the tow behind, or the walk behind? They do not make a 42" walk behind and the tow behinds were only introduced a few years ago (2007?). Or did your keyboard hiccup and you mean 24"?

When I bought mine, I got the spare, heavy duty blade. Mine has never been out of the shipping cardboard.

ken

If it can take a blade, it definitely is NOT that old. My DR is from 1999 and can not take the implements. I think that option came out a few years later.

42"???? Are you talking the tow behind, or the walk behind? They do not make a 42" walk behind and the tow behinds were only introduced a few years ago (2007?). Or did your keyboard hiccup and you mean 24"?

When I bought mine, I got the spare, heavy duty blade. Mine has never been out of the shipping cardboard.

ken

Yes the 42" twin blade quick detach mowing deck mounts in front of the tires and you walk behind it and the quick connect "brush/bush hog is 30" single blade i think.

I think it will take the blade and snow blower attachment but have not checked it out with DR.

After i get a chance to use it i will know more. I bought it for the brush attachment.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

1988 FORD F700 S/A DUMP TRUCK, S/N 1FDA1F7049TVD32626, V8 GAS ENG, 5X2 TRANS, OD READS 41108 MILE (A34808)
1988 FORD F700 S/A...
Miscellaneous Shop Repair Parts (A33113)
Miscellaneous Shop...
POWDER RIVER... CHUTE, CALF CHUTE /TABLE & ALLEY (A34808)
POWDER RIVER...
Wacker Neuson LTN6 Light Plant (A34302)
Wacker Neuson LTN6...
1996 FREIGHTLINER FLC 11264T/ST S/A TRUCK TRACTOR, S/N 1FUWZWYB3TL579571, 3306 CAT ENG, 9 SPD TRA... (A34808)
1996 FREIGHTLINER...
Miller 32' Disc (A33113)
Miller 32' Disc...