Sickle Bar Brush Hog or Sickle Bar

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #1  

Piperflyer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota3030HST
I will be cutting 3 acres of field this summer with a Kubota 3030. I would like some input on whether to use a sickle bar or brush hog. Which would do a better job, pros & cons? What size cutter would you recommend for the HP. of the 3030? Thanks

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #2  
Last year I was faced with the same ? . I watched threads on TBN and decided to get a balanced head sickle mower. I can't get over how effective it is. There is a poster "Farmswithjunk" who can give you more insite than I as he has more experience. Good luck and happy mowing. Best, Neil

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #3  
Five foot brush hog and seven foot sickle bar... If your pocket book is big enough, get one of each. Each has it's own benefits.

mark

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #4  
I have both. I purchased a new 6' brushhog with my Kubota L3430 three years ago. I used it once. It now sits in the shed gathering dust. On the other hand, my NH 451 sickle mower gets lots of use. Mowing my meadows, pasture and road ditches works much better with the sickle mower. The sickle mower is a bit more maintenance, but it works better for my mowing needs.

OrangeGuy

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #5  
I assume that this is just pasture and you're cutting for maintenance sake and not for baling, etc....?

If so, the shredder (brush hog) is the way to go. More versatile and resilient. The sickle mower is really more a cropping tool simply cutting and letting lie the material whereas the shredder will cut/pulverize/spread the material cut. I have both and the sickle always is at risk of clogging and often times will simply ride-over smaller stem grass/weeds. The shredder, by design, does not clog and rarely rides above anything. You'll get just as much done with a 5'-6' shredder as you will a 7' sickle in a given amount of time because you can move faster.

Also, try pulverizing the odd small stump or fallen limbs hiding in the weeds with a sickle mower........:{

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #6  
My want to also consider a flail if looking for a nicer cut... but more $$$.

mark

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #7  
joeintx said everything that i wanted to say. but i wanted to add that sickle bars can be annoying take your eye off of it for second and it will clog and can get a little expensive with upkeep and repairs and if it is a nice field have you considered a finish mower

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar
I appreciate all the input. The field is a flat hay field that I want to keep mowed for now (no rocks, stumps). I thought about a finish mower, but would have to mow it all the time. Does anyone make a mid mount flail mower for thr 3030.

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #9  
Piperflyer said:
I will be cutting 3 acres of field this summer with a Kubota 3030. I would like some input on whether to use a sickle bar or brush hog. Which would do a better job, pros & cons? What size cutter would you recommend for the HP. of the 3030? Thanks

Sickle bar mowers are more "maint. intensive". No denying that. They do a fine job of cutting weeds/grass if kept in good condition though. If the sections are sharp, and everything is in good condition, they'll cut as good as the best finish mowers. You need to realize there's a BUNCH of moving parts. (read; a LOT of parts to wear out) The advantages are , you can reach UNDER tree limbs, fences, over ditch banks and pond banks. DISadvantages..... besides the maint...... If you cut tall weeds, you have a lot of "residue" left behind that would be shredded with a bush hog type cutter. That can jump up and bite you on the NEXT cutting. That will tend to "lodge" or plug up the cutter bar at times.

As far as power, iof a tractor has enough "gonads" to pick up the sickle bar cutter, it will cut with it. VERY LITTLE power demand to run one.

My "favorite" sickle bars are 1. New Holland 451. 2. John Deere 350. 3. Massey Ferguson #41 DynaBalance. Unless you're really in to working on equipment, stay away from "pitman arm" style mowers in favor of balanced head types.

/ Brush Hog or Sickle Bar #10  
Piperflyer said:
I appreciate all the input. The field is a flat hay field that I want to keep mowed for now (no rocks, stumps). I thought about a finish mower, but would have to mow it all the time. Does anyone make a mid mount flail mower for thr 3030.

If I had a neighbor with a clean 3-acre field, I would sure be glad to loan him my rotary cutter to see what he thought about it before he bought a new one. Do you have a neighbor with a rotary cutter who might loan it to you or give you a demo?

If not, I'd have to suggest a rotary cutter such as a King Kutter from Tractor Supply or a Howse from Northern Tool. Either of these will be about $700 or less. I'd expect a sickle bar to be almost twice that much or more.

For side dressing along a fence row or around a pond, the sickle bar is great. I'd love to have one for around my ponds, but my primary cutter is a rotary cutter and it can take much more abuse with nothing but a slightly dulled blade. If you keep the blades on a rotary cutter sharp (probably sharper than when it is new) then you can achieve a very nice cut on smooth ground with consistent grass. It won't be like a finish mower, but it will be pretty nice.

See if you can find a neighbor or someone to help. Heck, if you are a flyer, what do they use to mow the airport you normally use? I bet the maintenance crew could give you some good tips.