Brush Cutter

/ Brush Cutter #1  

froggy

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4320 with TNT, electric diverter, cruise control and air suspension seat.
I have been considering buying a brush cutter and have looked at several brands: Billy Goat, DR and Gravely. The Gravely seems to be out of the question becuase of price. I have read the various threads on DR, but have not seen much on the Billy Goat. Was wondering if I could get your thoughts on the Billy Goat vs. the DR? Any information will be appreciated.

/ Brush Cutter #2  
I have been looking at walk behinds as well but haven't actually seen anything but the Gravely. Very heavy duty and very expen$ive. The posts that I have seen on the DR and BillyGoat seem to favor the Goat as a heavier and more durable machine. The DR offers the conversion to a grooming mower and Snowblower which is not a bad thing for a home owner. My situation would call for the "Mother of all brush cutting" on a steep acre and then some maintenence cutting as needed. This is ground where the bush hog will never tread and after the sticks are out of the picture a 42" grooming mower ( DR attachment) would make quick work of it. If I could find a DR to look at and get an honest opinion - post honeymoon, that would help a lot. If I was going to use it commercially I would probably be more intersted in the Billy Goat. I'll add to your hog call:
ANY DR OR BILLY GOAT USERS OUT THERE CARE TO GIVE US A REVIEW?

/ Brush Cutter #3  
Froggy,

I have no experience with either, but do a search on Billy Goat, DR, etc. at gardenweb.com. You will get several hits with varying opinions on the Billy Goat, DR, Gravely, etc. makes. I hope this helps.

/ Brush Cutter
Thanks, I found the Billy Goat thread earlier this morning. After reading everything, I think it looks like the Billy Goat brush cutter. Have looked at it at several dealers and will probably buy it later this year from the New holland dealer in Cleburne. Thanks for your input.

/ Brush Cutter #5  
Have you considered buying a used Gravely? You can get a good one with several attatchments for around $500. I own both a 12h.p 1978 Gravely and a 10.5h.p 1999 DR brush mower. The Gravely was considerably cheaper and more sturdy then the DR. The one main advantage of the DR is it is more maneuverable than the Gravely. I don't know anything about Billy Goats but my humble opinion would be to buy a used Gravely. They last for several decades (maybe longer), they are built like sherman tanks, and they have many attatchments that can be bought (and repair parts) through e-bay or other internet sites.