Broke The Steering

/ Broke The Steering #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
Well I did it. It finally happened. For those of you who do not follow my Youtube videos or know about my steering issues, look here:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ew-tractor-new-videos.html?highlight=steering

I was out helping my neighbor clear some thick brush on very uneven hill side. This winter, it has been extremely warm and little snow, so we thought it was a good time to get out and make this project happen. The ground is mostly frozen, but there is some snow and mud in places. My tractor steering angle has been fixed with longer stop bolts. I left about an inch or so of clearance from the loader brackets. Well, with chains on, that inch is almost nonexistent, especially while turning over rough terrain.
Well, the tire got bound up and before I could stop something made a SNAP! The right-hand steering arm snapped at just about the tie rod hooks in. The hydraulic pressure pushed both tires out since they were not connected anymore. This obviously brought work to a stop.

Being a Saturday, the LS dealership was closed. I jumped on the interwebs to see what this arm will cost. I found a New Holland replacement part from Messicks for about $250 shipped. I just about ordered it, after all, I am not a fan of leaving my tractor on a hill side broken down on someone else's property. I need this part yesterday! However, I decided to wait until I spoke with my LS Dealer. I called him first thing this morning and he quoted me $130 shipped... but it's under warranty so no cost to me! YAY!!

It should be an easy repair. I just need to pop off the old one, check the bearing and seals (The dealer got those for me too) and install the new one. Add a bunch of grease and away we go. The only issue I am seeing is getting the tire back into place. I am thinking that I crack the hydraulic hose on the steering cylinder to bleed off pressure and use a ratchet strap (if needed) to pull it back over to the tie rod. Oh! I do the warranty work, forgot to mention that.

The parts should be here in about 5 days. When they get here, I will make the repairs and film everything. So watch here and my YouTube Channel for updates!

(and check out this interesting conversation I started in the general forum about who should pay for repairs https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/407519-who-should-pay.html)
vlcsnap-2019-01-21-10h43m45s997.png

/ Broke The Steering #2  
Just curious, why do you have the chains on? It doesn't look like chain terrain. Again I'm just curious and not being critical, I have the same tires that you have but I do not own chains and I was considering getting some. We also have had a low snow winter, but I have used my back blade and 6' snow pusher to move some snow, a couple of times. The R4 tires didn't affect what I wanted to do.

/ Broke The Steering #3  
Looking forward to video. :thumbsup:

/ Broke The Steering
Just curious, why do you have the chains on? It doesn't look like chain terrain. Again I'm just curious and not being critical, I have the same tires that you have but I do not own chains and I was considering getting some. We also have had a low snow winter, but I have used my back blade and 6' snow pusher to move some snow, a couple of times. The R4 tires didn't affect what I wanted to do.

I put the chains on when I couldn't plow my driveway. My 'neighborhood' is on a slope of a mountain. Its hard to find a flat level spot! My driveway is fairly steep, and on ice, is almost impossible to drive up it with just cold rubber. So the chains.
This winter has been weird. Not much snow since mid-December, and much of what we got (we typically get about 4ft/year) has melted. The ground is mostly frozen with a layer of thawed mud on the top. We were clearing brush on the side of a hill, and the chains really help. Probably not needed, but helped.

But probably the biggest reason for wearing chains while working without snow or ice, is because they are a pain in the *** to take them on and off.

Chains are not just for snow and ice, and I considered leaving them on year round! But wont, just gotta suck up the time and misery of putting them on each year. I stick really well and dont regret getting them. Spendy, but worth it. I can do things in the winter now without sliding around and spinning out.

/ Broke The Steering #5  
Ok, thanks for your reply. I only considered chains for snow/ice, didn't think of the other applications for them.
Good luck on your repairs, and also, thank you for taking the time to post your videos.

/ Broke The Steering #6  
To align the wheels back up you are correct, just crack the hydraulic line open and you can push the wheels back into alignment. I broke my tie rod bracket and used a ratchet strap to keep the wheels straight so I could move it and load on a trailer.

John

/ Broke The Steering
Thats what I figured. That steering cylinder is kinda odd. It only has a supply line, no return. I assume it is because of the tie rod, the cylinder must have some way to return the oil when the other side pushes out. I figure if I'm able to bleed off the pressure though the fitting, force it over to alignment, it should be okay. Might loose a bit of oil, but thats nothing. Slightly concerned about introducing air, but that should work its way out too, I hope.

/ Broke The Steering
Well, here it is! A new video up showing the damage and repair job.

LS XR4145C - Broken Down! - YouTube

The parts took two weeks to get here due to some weird storm in the mid-west apparently. The dealer told me when we ordered them that the parts only take about 4-5 business days to arrive. Oh well. But during that time, a storm of our own came though and dropped about 6in of snow on us. During the winter, the tractor is my primary means of plowing (secondary and what I used last winter before the tractor was my 4-wheeler, which died and needs to be replaced this spring.) My wife drives a little two-wheel drive POS "SUV" that cannot make it up the driveway when there is the slightest bit of snow or ice. So, she has been parking and walking the 100 or so yards up the driveway. Once, she even slid down and 'backed' into a snow bank and broke her tail light!
Of course, this is my fault because the tractor broke and I havent fixed it. :mur:

Anyway, I was able to replace the arm without much trouble. I did a time lapse of the repair using my new GoPro. Unfortunately, I totally forgot it while filming. My plan was to show the new part as I assembled it, but it is rather straight forward. Let me know what you think and thanks for watchin!

/ Broke The Steering #10  
Nice video. That's a pretty thick piece of cast and my thought was maybe it was just a bad cast??

Anyway your back up and running.