Broke the key

/ Broke the key #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
Stupid me, hit the key with my knee and it broke, luckily I can still turn the lock to start her, but I would prefer to get the broken key out.

Anybody had that happen before? Is it hard to dig out the lock? This is B1750, but I believe it is the same for tractors of that era.

/ Broke the key #2  
Is there no room to grab it with pliers? I wonder if one of those super strong magnates could pull it out?

/ Broke the key #3  
Would a dental pic help get the broken part out, along with a magnet ?

/ Broke the key #4  
I did it once too. Used a combination of dental picks, and some very delicate needle nose pliers. Something like these.

$_35.JPG

/ Broke the key
Right, thanks, reading responses I remembered the lock pick set I got few years back, one of the tools will hopefully work.

/ Broke the key #6  
maybe a drop of superglue on the end of an small flat screwdriver? hold it on the visible part of the broken key for a few seconds then pull it out?

/ Broke the key #7  
I think most keys are made of brass so a magnet wouldn't work. My dentist gives me old picks when I go there and they are very handy to use.

/ Broke the key #8  
You need a broken key extractor. Find a locksmith or locksmith supply house and they will sell you one. Probably could find one on ebay also. It is a piece of wire with a spiral piece of fine wire wound around it's diameter to bind the broken key and pull it out.

/ Broke the key #9  
FWIW...My oem K_ubota keys are steel...