Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them!

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Yes, I was hanging on to a TV antenna tower with one hand, holding one of those four tine hoe like garden tools with a five foot handle trying to pull aluminum siding out from under the eaves of the 100-year old house my youngest is redoing. (Long sentence, stay silent grammar Nazis) Several pieces came down at once and one hit my safety glasses on the left lens, put a deep scratch in the glasses and cut a shallow gash in my nose.

I may have said a few words that embarrassed the sheetrockers working in the house.

But I didn't let go and fall.

Got down as soon as my wife walked around the house and threw glasses in the dumpster and got another pair from the truck. Dodged a lecture about being stupid at 67-years old.

Now my left eye is my good eye, lost the center of vision in the right one a couple years ago. If not for those glasses I might have had damage in my left and that would have stopped me from driving.

Scary!!!!

RSKY

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #2  
Yes, I was hanging on to a TV antenna tower with one hand, holding one of those four tine hoe like garden tools with a five foot handle trying to pull aluminum siding out from under the eaves of the 100-year old house my youngest is redoing. (Long sentence, stay silent grammar Nazis) Several pieces came down at once and one hit my safety glasses on the left lens, put a deep scratch in the glasses and cut a shallow gash in my nose.

I may have said a few words that embarrassed the sheetrockers working in the house.

Got down as soon as my wife walked around the house and threw glasses in the dumpster and got another pair from the truck. Dodged a lecture about being stupid at 67-years old.

Now my left eye is my good eye, lost the center of vision in the right one a couple years ago. If not for those glasses I might have had damage in my left and that would have stopped me from driving.

Scary!!!!

RSKY
Good for you for being smart enough to wear them. I do when working with grinders and such, but wouldn't have been wearing them doing what you were doing. You are smarter at 67 than I am at 55:)

Best,

ed

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them!
Good for you for being smart enough to wear them. I do when working with grinders and such, but wouldn't have been wearing them doing what you were doing. You are smarter at 67 than I am at 55:)

Best,

ed

Twelve more years of experience and a strong fear of damage to my one good eye.

RSKY

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #4  
Twelve more years of experience and a strong fear of damage to my one good eye.

RSKY
Understood, and just to be clear, you are absolutely correct. I used to wear prescription glasses and had a pair that were good coverage and "safety" type glass and frames, I should really just go back to wearing those all the time.

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #6  

Scary!!!!

RSKY
Good job wearing them in the first place!

I had a grinding wheel blow up on me; blew out my shield and glasses.
That is my constant fear using one. I am mindful that the wheels are a brittle ceramic.

I am glad that you were wearing both!

All the best,

Peter

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #7  
My wife won't let me cut down "big trees". She says I'm getting to old for that.

I'm pushing the envelope as to what is a "Big Tree" ;-)

A splinter in thine own eye....a moat in the eye of another.

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #8  
Good on ya for wearing 'em RSKY.

It only takes a moment, eh?

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #9  
I wear safety glasses or shield or both when grinding and the like. I'm blind in my right eye. My eye doctor recommends Lasik surgery for my left eye. It scares me. If a mistake should be made during this surgery and I loose sight in my left eye - the world would become very dim. Right now Lasik surgery would correct my need for reading glasses only.

Looking thru my right eye is like looking thru a frosted window. No driving and very difficult to even navigate around.

Such is life .............

Good to hear you were wearing the safety glasses RSKY.

/ Broke a pair of safety glasses today! While I was wearing them! #10  
Back before I needed to wear prescription glasses, I had a similar scary incident. I was hammering a 3" finishing nail into a door jamb and it sprang back, imbedding itself it the lens of the safety glasses I was wearing! A near miss but a lesson learned.