Seeders broadcaster vs seed drill

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #11  
I gave some thought about dropping rye seed from an airplane before the beans came out this fall. I'm glad I didn't do it. The fields are so wet, soft and spongy that the combine and especially the grain cart have the fields all torn up around here. Plus, it would have cost about $900 for about 30 acres.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #12  
If using a drill, has anyone had trouble with the mechanical ones getting blocked up either partially or fully when drilling soft ground? Does anyone use an air drill to eliminate this?

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #14  
If using a drill, has anyone had trouble with the mechanical ones getting blocked up either partially or fully when drilling soft ground? Does anyone use an air drill to eliminate this?

I've never used my old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill in really soft ground.

Here's a photo showing the single disc opener, drop tube and the boot that accommodates the end of the drop tube. There's a scraper blade on the disc to remove any sticky mud. The end of the boot is raked backward to minimize dirt scooping at the bottom end of the boot.

Drill openers-1.JPG

There's also an adjustment on the arm that carries the boot so you can raise the bottom end if you think the boot might get clogged.

Drill openers-2.JPG

A fine example of early 20th century grain drill design:thumbsup:

Good luck.

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #15  
I just over seeded my front lawn with our old John Deere Van Brunt 14 drop Model B drill...
So...
I am partial to drills...
As others have said...
Better germination...
But finding a decent older unit at a fair price can be challenging...
Just as an aside...
Deere still keeps some parts available for those old units in stock...
I just purchased a tension spring for ours...

/ broadcaster vs seed drill #17  
The local government Soil and Water Conservation District extension office in my county rents a no till drill for $13 an acre. The surrounding counties do something similar. I'd make a few calls to some of these type of places.