Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or?

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #11  
Box blade with the top link set correctly to just scratch the surface. You will need to to a few passes. The teeth mix up the fines on top and the blade smooths things out.

If you have alot of grass growing I may spray a mild weed killer on it a week prior.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #12  
But I was thinking after reading some of your replies, would it help if I were to try to skim off the grassy top layer I have in spots with the bucket before trying to rip it up with the scarifiers? I figured it couldn't hurt to get rid of as much soil/sod as possible.

Deezler - So doing this with the ground a bit wet works better from your experience?
Yeah if you can get rid of sod / organic material, thats always a plus. You don't want that junk turning to mud in/under your rocks.

Yes, in my experience some prolonged dampness really helps loosen things up. So I don't even try in the droughts of mid summer, when my driveway is hard as concrete. This is generally a spring and fall task for me. But it depends how hard packed your driveway/yard is. And also how much machine power you have - my dinky 35HP and 4k lbs can only pull so hard with my 6-ft land plane.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or?
Roughly where are you located? If it's near SW, Virginia, you can borrow my box blade...
Im in NY, but thank you for the generous and kind offer :)

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or?
Box blade with the top link set correctly to just scratch the surface. You will need to to a few passes. The teeth mix up the fines on top and the blade smooths things out.

If you have alot of grass growing I may spray a mild weed killer on it a week prior.
Thanks, will a land plane accomplish the same thing? I'm attracted to the land plane for what seems to be its ability to bring up stones and smooth them out as you go. Ive watched some youtube videos where it appears to restore gravel driveways pretty nicely (and easily, which is a plus for a newbie like me haha)

Yeah if you can get rid of sod / organic material, thats always a plus. You don't want that junk turning to mud in/under your rocks.

Yes, in my experience some prolonged dampness really helps loosen things up. So I don't even try in the droughts of mid summer, when my driveway is hard as concrete. This is generally a spring and fall task for me. But it depends how hard packed your driveway/yard is. And also how much machine power you have - my dinky 35HP and 4k lbs can only pull so hard with my 6-ft land plane.

Cool, thats what I was thinking too. I think I could get rid of some grassy spots fairly easily.

Thanks for the tip, I wouldnt have thought that on my own, but it makes alot of sense!

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #15  
Thanks, will a land plane accomplish the same thing? I'm attracted to the land plane for what seems to be its ability to bring up stones and smooth them out as you go. Ive watched some youtube videos where it appears to restore gravel driveways pretty nicely (and easily, which is a plus for a newbie like me haha)

Cool, thats what I was thinking too. I think I could get rid of some grassy spots fairly easily.

Thanks for the tip, I wouldnt have thought that on my own, but it makes alot of sense!
If none of your rock is big (larger than an inch, maybe 2), the land plane will do a decent job mixing the material. You want to re-mix the fines and the stone, then spread out that mix into the final shape of the driveway. Where I find the land plane struggles is when the rock gets too large, getting the mixing effect can be difficult, especially if the rock is at the surface (when the fines have been eroded away).

Also, if the areas that are growing grass are growing in stone dust or sand, that's different than loam. So it depends what it is, whether you want to remove it, or mix it back in.

If none of your rock is big (larger than an inch, maybe 2), the land plane will do a decent job mixing the material. You want to re-mix the fines and the stone, then spread out that mix into the final shape of the driveway. Where I find the land plane struggles is when the rock gets too large, getting the mixing effect can be difficult, especially if the rock is at the surface (when the fines have been eroded away).

Also, if the areas that are growing grass are growing in stone dust or sand, that's different than loam. So it depends what it is, whether you want to remove it, or mix it back in.

Some of the rocks are about 3" long, its definitely a mix

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #17  
Box grader will do it. I have done it. My brother and I made a big honkin box grader. It felt good to get impressed, and that one did impress me.

I'm getting the feeling I will need a box blade and a land plane if I have stone up to 3" or so. Or at least both would be ideal if I could swing it?

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #19  
I'm getting the feeling I will need a box blade and a land plane if I have stone up to 3" or so. Or at least both would be ideal if I could swing it?
Having both is ideal. If you were to only pick one, box blade is probably more versatile. But it is a little harder to use and get really good results. For your application you might be able to get away with just the land plane, but it depends on the actual material. If money is an issue and you cannot get both, you could get some of the mixing results of the box blade using the loader, if there's an area that the land plane jumps around (can happen if the fines have washed out). The box blade can hold a lot more, so if you have a washed out rocky area, you can carry stuff back and forth until you can get some fines mixed back in with the stone. If you don't have any washed out areas, the land plane by itself would probably be good. Any possibility you could rent or borrow one or the other before purchasing?

Looking at your pictures again, if most of the areas look like that, the land plane by itself will probably work great. Use the scarifiers at first to help separate the top layer and break up the grass, then lift them for your final grading.

/ Bringing up old rock / gravel...want to restore parking lot and driveway...Land Plane or box blade or? #20  
Hello, Looking for some advice here. On our property we have a few buildings and a gravel parking lot / driveway. Over the years it has gotten more muddy / soily and the top layer is alot of gravel fines now. Over the years it has gotten worse to where there is alot more grass then there used to be. When I was clearing snow this past winter I dug in a bit too deep in a couple spots and I could see there is nice rock just underneath everything (see 4th picture). I ended up finding one of those old ariel photo paintings that were popular back in the day of our property, and I can see the parking lot and driveway was all stone (see last picture). So it
CDC178F0-9DFA-4401-AA6A-2672CA90E02F.jpeg
appears all the stone is still there, just a bit buried / overgrown.

What Id like to do, if possible, is bring the stone back up to the top. I've tried to research this and it seems like a land plane or box blade with scarifiers would do this...I think.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would my idea work? Any tips or tricks?
What implement would be the best to do this? I was looking at a 7ft woods land plane with the scarifiers for this.

I did get a quote to get it all redone with gravel but it was really expensive since its a large area so I am looking for more affordable alternatives.
Try one of these. May have to go over three or four times but it will loosen top inch without disturbing your packed base. I use one for a my gravel driveway (3100 ft lenght). Saves me from buying so much gravel. Once you have an establish packed base this keeps the top inch loose.
Any big rock or grass that is pulled up move to the sides. Use for filling wash places that occur in the future. This is the cheapest way to try. If it doesn't work you can always purchase the other equipment when caught at a good price.

Last edited: