Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I need/desire a Brillion seeder for pasture and alfalfa/grass establishment. I've about come to the point that I might need to get a newer version if I cannot find a GOOD older one at a reasonable price. I see older ones occasionally, but they are sparse and some have premium prices for rough machines. $4K for a 40-50yo machine vs $10-12K for a 'new' 1-2yo machine. I have really been wondering whether the value hold on a newer machine might be the way to go rather than getting something older. Typically I don't have an issue with used equipment, as long as it does the job. But, I'm not sure whether I should just bite the bullet, get a new machine, and put it in my Will.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 10-12' models.

What are your thoughts on a 12' Sure Stand?

I'm trying to decide 2 things.

1. Is the cost of new vs old worth it? Given how well they seem to hold value and I have little thought that I will be selling anytime soon.
2. Is there a benefit for either 3pt or tow version? My tractor can handle either.

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #2  
I ran a pull type 12' years ago, you could seed curves / turns with it ok, had transport wheels so single remote to lift. I'd think 12 foot fully mount would be a handful, especially turning since it would twist on your 3 point. I run an 8 foot semi mount grain drill, and it will twist on the 3pt on a sharp turn.

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #3  
I bought a new tow behind 10 footer in 1990. I unbolted the tongue and welded on a full width tool bar with Cat II quick hitch.

I found that the real dry conditions on our fine peat soil would cause the soil to pile up in front of the rollers to the point where the Brillion just dragged and couldn't roll.

Converting it to 3Pt lift alleviated this problem. You may very well never encounter this condition. Just thought I'd mention it.

Terry

Edit: BTW I just sold it earlier this year for $5000 CDN. Under 300 acres on the meter. Mint shape. I had added heavy black vinyl "wind screens" to fill in the space on the bottom backside of the seed boxes. (Easily removed via 6" spaced snaps.)

Last edited:
   / Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #4  
I need/desire a Brillion seeder for pasture and alfalfa/grass establishment. I've about come to the point that I might need to get a newer version if I cannot find a GOOD older one at a reasonable price. I see older ones occasionally, but they are sparse and some have premium prices for rough machines. $4K for a 40-50yo machine vs $10-12K for a 'new' 1-2yo machine. I have really been wondering whether the value hold on a newer machine might be the way to go rather than getting something older. Typically I don't have an issue with used equipment, as long as it does the job. But, I'm not sure whether I should just bite the bullet, get a new machine, and put it in my Will.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 10-12' models.

What are your thoughts on a 12' Sure Stand?

I'm trying to decide 2 things.

1. Is the cost of new vs old worth it? Given how well they seem to hold value and I have little thought that I will be selling anytime soon.
2. Is there a benefit for either 3pt or tow version? My tractor can handle either.

I doubt your tractor is going to like a 12' mounted model. it's not likely to be too happy with a 10' one, for that matter. mounted Brillion seeders are great for paddocks and get heavy at 8'.

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #5  
I'd think 12 foot fully mount would be a handful, especially turning since it would twist on your 3 point. I run an 8 foot semi mount grain drill, and it will twist on the 3pt on a sharp turn.

I noticed you said 'semi' mount. Is it not possible to lift it fully out of the ground?

Mounted soil engaged implements should not be left lowered during turns let alone sharp ones. IMHO of course.

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #6  
I noticed you said 'semi' mount. Is it not possible to lift it fully out of the ground?

Mounted soil engaged implements should not be left lowered during turns let alone sharp ones. IMHO of course.

IH 510 semi-mount, uses lower draft links, no top link. A rear caster wheel shares the weight. The ground engaging parts are out of the ground when turning, also stops the drill from seeding (ground drive)

The drill will tip / twist on the 3pt arms if you turn aggressive.
semimount.jpg

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #7  
IH 510 semi-mount, uses lower draft links, no top link. A rear caster wheel shares the weight. The ground engaging parts are out of the ground when turning, also stops the drill from seeding (ground drive)

The drill will tip / twist on the 3pt arms if you turn aggressive.
View attachment 517192

Aha. Now I understand. Thanks for posting pic!

Terry

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders
What are your thoughts on % better than no-till drilled 2 ways with the same seed bed prep?

I am going to disc and cultimulch the fields. I am really having a hard time trying to decide on whether I will get 'enough' benefit out of the Brillion vs just renting the Extension No-Till drill and running 2 ways. I've had all sorts of thoughts from running the coulters barely touching the ground then coming back and just cultipacking it to no-till as is to disc, cultimulch, then Brillion seed.

I suspect weed pressure would be much better with the Brillion given there are no 'holes/rows'.

I want to find the 'sweetspot' and I am trying to decide whether my idea of 'do my best' ie Brillion is overshooting the utility for my 70ac 40 of which will be permanent pasture and the other 30 hay. I don't know whether buying a Brillion for this situation, regardless of how well they hold value, is my best plan.

So, what % better than a no-till would you give a Brillion seeder?

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders #9  
Do your Agg dealers have demo units to try? Can you rent one? I would want to make sure the unit works for me before buying. As for cross seeding some folks here to that and seem to get better results, especially erosion control. Also depends on the grass seed and instructions for seeding to get the spacing correct. Also check with your local State or County Agg service. They can offer advice and may have a seeder they can loan out.

/ Brillion seeder - thoughts about 3pt vs tow versions of larger seeders
There is NO ONE locally... or even that I can find in the State of KY who carries Brillion in stock. I have found someone in OHIO who rents, but they won't rent out of state.

I think I will just prep the seedbed well, Drill it 2 ways, then cultipack it. Its hard to think about purchasing a seeder for an every 5-7 year need. My biggest issue is that I will be purchasing around $6K worth of seed... and I want it all to grow!!! I'd like to give it its best shot.