Briggs opposed twin 20hp Craftsman LT1000 bogging down

/ Briggs opposed twin 20hp Craftsman LT1000 bogging down
It has a key so i assume that would be considered an electronic ignition? If it was a pin hole in the diaphragm wouldn't that mean it wouldn't hold pressure on the vacuum side? Seems like i would have felt that when i tested.

/ Briggs opposed twin 20hp Craftsman LT1000 bogging down #12  
It has a key so i assume that would be considered an electronic ignition? If it was a pin hole in the diaphragm wouldn't that mean it wouldn't hold pressure on the vacuum side? Seems like i would have felt that when i tested.
Oh boy. Maybe you will be better if you take it to a small engine repair shop.
Having a key means it has an electric starter. Electronic ignition means it does NOT have points and condenser to make a spark, but an electronic module to fire the spark.
hugs, Brandi

/ Briggs opposed twin 20hp Craftsman LT1000 bogging down #13  
Your filter being loose, then tightened again- did it change anything?

These engines definitely had their share of coil problems for a hot stall. Sometimes the CD would be wiggy and begin to throw the spark at the wrong time. The thing to know before you replace a coil is that these machines are old, harnesses brittle and you should confirm that there is never any power getting to the coil. Crank, run, stop. wiggle this an that. The OEM replacement coils are really sensitive when it comes to stray power hitting them. AN aftermarket coil could be better.

The tractor is a 2000 model year. I didn't think there was a motor made with points since the 1980's. This model has an ignition coil which is what i thought all modern engines used.

FWIW, I checked the compression and found that the two cylinders were 78 and 82 psi. The best I can find suggests that is within the normal range for opposed twin Briggs motors though the range I found was 60-100psi. So long as they are within 25% the concensus seems to be it's good to go.

/ Briggs opposed twin 20hp Craftsman LT1000 bogging down #16  
78 to 80 PSI seems low unless that model had the compression release that kicks out at higher RPM.

My 17.5hp Briggs was around 50psi with a blown head gasket and holds closer to 120psi after repair. That seemed low but without published specs from the mfg I can't say other than what I found searching forums. Yes, it was lower than I'd have expected too.