Briggs Governor Adjustment

/ Briggs Governor Adjustment #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I have a Coleman 4000 watt generator that has a 8HP Briggs engine. It has no throttle control, so I assume that the little wire that runs from the carb to a box on the side of the engine is the governor. Depending on the electrical load placed on the generator the engine starts surging and the little governor wire starts opening and closing the flap in the carb rapidly. The generator will start hopping around and this cannot be good. Does any one know of a way to adjust this so that it is not so sensitive?

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Briggs Governor Adjustment #2  
Moss:
Sounds more like a slight carb ajustment, then a govenor ajustment. Try turning the high side ajustment screw, a little more counter clockwise, should striaght it right up and run smooth agian./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Camshaft in Pa.

/ Briggs Governor Adjustment #3  
There should be a spring that runs from the throttle linkage to either a knob out of the side of the block or to an air vane that could be stretched or relaxed. It is possible that this is done thru a series of linkages and springs also. If there is a series of linkages then the one you are looking for will be on a linkage theat has several holes that are for speed adjustment. I would check and/or replace this spring. This makes sure the rpm of the motor stays constant. If the rpm's vary too much it also effect the output voltage along with the current. You want the current to remain around 60hz or things will start letting the magic smoke out. Be very careful when installing a new spring as to NOT stretch it. Be sure to check the output voltage and current with a volt-ohm meter again before connecting anything to it.