Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Anyone remember these? My dad had one on his 2 wheel tractor and a push lawnmower. I haven't seen them in decades, but wondered why they went away. Very good alternative for those that have trouble pull-starting an engine. I wish I would have kept them.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #2  
I used one of those wind up recoil starter on a mower that I used to mow a neighbors yard with when I was a kid

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #3  
Anyone remember these? My dad had one on his 2 wheel tractor and a push lawnmower. I haven't seen them in decades, but wondered why they went away. Very good alternative for those that have trouble pull-starting an engine. I wish I would have kept them.

Yeah, we sold a few of them in the late 60s, early 70s. Good way to lose a toe, or worse. Once you wound it up, you had to be right over the engine to press the handle down to release it, putting your feet close to the blade. I think your picture is the later model, the early one had a knob on the cowling you twisted to release.

And if you wound it up and the release didn't work, you were loading and hauling a dangerous device to the shop. Tricky to work on at that point, too. I think they were discontinued even before the deadman brake and remote pull starter were mandated.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter
On his lawnmower, you could wind it 360 around and around until it got tight. Then push a thumb lever to release it.

On his two wheel tractor, there wasn't enough room to go 360, only 180. So you had to ratchet it back and forth, back and forth. To top it off, the thumb lever release was missing, so he'd jam a long flat-blade screwdriver into it, then ratchet it up, then yank the screwdriver out of it.

Until I saw that video I posted, I saw a few more that had the knob style. I'd never seen that before.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #5  
My great aunt had one on her farm on a push mower and possibly her tiller. That was in the 70's.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #6  
My dad had a small horizontal shaft Briggs with a cast iron block that had a kick starter assembly on the output shaft. The engine was shot or had some problem. I never saw it run, but I remember that kick starter. I've never seen one again.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #7  
My dad had a small horizontal shaft Briggs with a cast iron block that had a kick starter assembly on the output shaft. The engine was shot or had some problem. I never saw it run, but I remember that kick starter. I've never seen one again.

Those foot start engines were B&S. They were used on some of the early powered clothes washing machines. A lot of rural areas did not have electricity so the gas powered washer was for them.

My parents had one. I never saw it used on the washer. By the time I was old enough to know what was going on, my dad had replaced the gas engine with an electric motor.

Richard

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #8  
Thanks for telling me what it was. I never realized it was a gas motor for a clothes washer.

I remember looking at the kick starter and wishing that I could adapt it to a couple of his other engines that only had rope pulleys on them. As I recall, the kick starter had some assembly on the engine block itself so it couldn't be installed on his other B & S motors.

To me, the self winding recoil starter was a tremendous improvement over having to wind a rope around the starter pully with each crank on the older motors.

I'm not sure if I ever saw a wind up starter like Moss Road posted in person, but I remember seeing them advertised. I always guessed that it would be easier to use the regular self winding recoil starter if you had to crank the engine a few times to get it started. None of them ever seemed to start on the first crank.

Last edited:
   / Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #9  
Sure do remember spin tops dad had on and I push it many mile when I was tadpole,never saw spin top on tractor tho.

/ Briggs and Stratton Wind Up Starter #10  
I remember the wind up starters. I thought it was easier to just pull a cord, but I was young. The Stihl easy start system is similar. I looked at it and decided I liked the traditional pull cord better.