Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #1  

wngsprd

Tractor
Kubota L3130 DT
Problem: Engine won't start
Equipment: B&S Quantum 675 engine on 22 ton TSC Huskee log splitter

Well, I spent the whole afternoon trying to start my log splitter - no success. Finally got some time to try to split some logs I left unsplit last winter. Brand new splitter - bought in February and only used it several times over 2 months. Haven't started it since April, but always mixed fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment and ran all the gas out before storing it under shelter for summer. Now, no start at all.

Anybody have any ideas? I read many of the threads on wood splitters, but didn't find this exact problem. Here's what I did so far...
- checked the oil and hydraulic oil,
- added new gas
- turned throttle to fast speed and pushed the primer bulb 3 times
- pulled the rope several times and repeated
- checked the spark plug and tested that I was getting a spark
- removed and inspected the air filter
- removed the fuel filter and tested that gas was making it this far
- shot one second of started fluid into air intake, replaced air filter and did get one second of run, then died. Repeated this.
- tried to flood it with primer bulb, just to see if I was getting fuel, but spark plug looked dry, and no strong gas smell.

Thanks for any ideas.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #2  
Sounds like a plugged main jet which holds the float bowl on. Remove it and clean it with carb cleaner should be fine. If you decide to open the jet up with a welding tip cleaner be careful.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start
Thanks for your help.

Removed and cleaned float bowl, nut, float and needle, and replaced spark plug today. But, still unable to get engine started.

I didn't mess with opening the jet, since not sure how.

I'd really appreciate any other ideas.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #4  
Might be the float needle is stuck to the seat. Rapping the carb can often remedy that.
Generally I like to air blow all passages clear.
Close all jets down and slowly open as you crank. Also squirting raw gas into the carb generally gets a bark or two as you open more bit by bit.

Rapping the carb and or raw gas generally gets my 4 strokes wanting to run. I then tweak all adjustments for smooth running.

'nother trick;
For carb cleaner I use foam spray oven cleaner. Really works great! but do rinse thoroughly with warm water to neutralize the caustic solution.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #5  
Were you able to spray carb cleaner through the center of the bowl nut?

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start
I got it started today - I brandished my splitting maul at it, and it decided to cooperate :).

Actually, I let it sit overnight and it started this afternoon on the 8th pull.

I was getting ready to take the bowl off again and try your idea of spraying through holes in the bowl nut, but decided to attempt to start it first, and success. I'll feel better if I am successful starting it again after a day or two, or I'll be taking the bowl off again for sure.

Thanks for your ideas.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #7  
I have this exact same problem, with the same B&S engine 675E series, 190cc, on a SpeeCo, Split Master 22 Ton Log Splitter, that I purchased in 2014.
Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

If there was any problem with the carburetor float sticking or clogged passages I don’t believe it would run so well when the engine finally starts. The weird thing is that the problem is somewhat intermittent, and runs great when it starts, plenty of power for the largest knotted logs.

Won’t start without priming with starting fluid, even then it likes to die until it warms up some. It is designed without a choke.

11-27-2020 replaced primer bulb, the gasket that covers the primer passage on the carburetor, and blew out the passage and screen filter for the primer = no help.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #8  
Can I get you to post the model number of the engine. Should be stamped into the valve cover. that way I can see what carb you have and be able to give suggestions. I suspect a carb issue and setting with fuel is hard on those carbs couples with the fact that some of those engines like to collect water in the fuel tank and carb.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #9  
Forget that primer bulb-----they are useless! take the spark plug out and dump gas in the hole----gotta do that on ALL of my small motors when the set for long time. ----thats the way they are made nowdays.

/ Briggs 675 on log splitter won't start #10  
I solved this cold start problem (sort of) = I found a plastic pipe plug slightly smaller than the carburetor inlet and I install it when starting the engine cold by removing the air cleaner and putting the plastic plug in the front of the carburetor (where the choke should be.) After it is running well I remove the plastic cap plug and reinstall the air cleaner.

I have also had success starting it by continuing to push the priming bulb continuously for a couple of minutes after the engine initially starts; this without inserting the plastic choke plug,
------
Mr Briggs & Stratton, Please put a choke on these engines!!