Brantly Backhoe

/ Brantly Backhoe #1  

Frisbee

I posted this in the attachments forum and did not get a response. Thought mayge I would get one here. I really need help on this.

I have a Brantly backhoe attachment for garden tractors made in the '70's, can anyone tell me what kind of hydraulic fluid I need to use in this equipment?

Thanks
Ted

/ Brantly Backhoe #2  
Almost any oil is likely to work, but here is what I would use, in the order indicated:

1. John Deere J20C tractor fluid (called Hy-Gard or Hy-Trans);
2. Kubota UDT or Super UDT
3. Universal Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid (usually at the auto parts store);
4. Tractor Hydraulic Fluid with anti-wear additives (same source as 3);
5. SAE 20W engine oil
6. SAE 10W-30 engine oil
7. Automatic Transmission Fluid

#1-4 are typically available in five gallon pails only. If you need much less, SAE 20W engine oil is a reasonable choice. The engine oil may not have the anti-wear, anti-oxidation, or anti-foaming properties of the first 4, but it is likely to serve in a 40 year old garden tractor attachment.

/ Brantly Backhoe
Thanks,

I bought the tractor and backhoe last summer and used it a little bit while I was sorting out some engine issues. Started using it this spring more so I changed the oil and filter. I used the Transmission/Hydraulic fluid I bought at the local NH/MF dealer to use in my MF 235 with loader. I think it is a NH product. I cannot verify this for sure, but it seamed like it ran a lot hotter. Your right leg is touching the holding tank while you operate the backhoe. I blew a hose a couple of weeks ago, so it is basically empty again, I decided I would try to verify what to use before I fill it up again.

Thanks for your reply.

Ted

/ Brantly Backhoe #4  
Ted:

You should be in good shape. Hydraulic fluid is not permanently harmed until the temperature gets pretty high, well over 200 deg F. It does thin out at higher temperatures, but good tractor fluid should maintain adequate viscosity for a gear pump to at least 180-200 deg F, which as you know is far too hot to touch. Don't know about you, but my skin starts sizzling about 150 deg.

/ Brantly Backhoe
So do you think I am fine to continue to use the transmission/hydraulic fluid, or do you think I should change to something else? At $9.00 a piece, I really don't want to buy a new oil filter if I don't have to. Plus I already have a large jug of this stuff. When the hose blew, the fluid was really thin, don't know how it should be. This thing had set since the late '70's when I bought it, so I assume I will replace hoses and such as I use it.

Ted