Branson + Rotomec...Operation Corn Patch

/ Branson + Rotomec...Operation Corn Patch #1  

sassafraspete

Platinum Member
not heaven but you can see it from here... Brown C
Tractor
Branson (kukje) 4020, 40hp turbo
Today I decided to remove my backhoe and use the rotomec tiller for the first time. Ok , backed up to the tiller and hooked up the arms and top link...and then tried to attach the pto shaft. It wouldn't budge...was too short. What gives? I am not used to these new fangled plastic guards. I went over to my rotary cutter...and yes that shaft slid back and forth real easy....so what's wrong with this tiller shaft? I unhooked, then grabbed the shaft and gave it a good yank....nothing. Maybe there is a secret to this thing some how. After fiddling with it for 15 minutes...ok go read the manual. Yep, that was useless. Ok....what to do now? I know....do a search on TBN. Sure enough....found a post about a phd with same problem.....advice was....it probably got wedged during shipping....just give it a good yank. OK...back I go and give this thing a big yank....nothing. OK, time to get out the hammer. Well, with a few raps...it pops loose. I felt kind of stupid....but hey, another testimonial for the good info on TBN. Ok, now what? Well, let's start on my current small garden....I've planted peas in tomato cages and onions on one end....the other is still hilled up from last yr....I will try this out there. I do one pass...all goes well. I will stop there for now. Including picture of current garden spot.

sassafraspete

Attachments

• 407008-MVC-002F.JPG
    407008-MVC-002F.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 317
   / Branson + Rotomec...Operation Corn Patch
Next step....head to the back field. I marked off a 100' by 75' area for a sweet corn patch. This should be interesting...this field has not been plowed for 20 yrs. Off I go.....hey, I'm kinda liking this thing. Ok, so today I am just tilling in the sod and will come back at later time when I plant to do the finished tilling. Here is a picture ....

Attachments

• 407017-MVC-004F.JPG
    407017-MVC-004F.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 404
This rotomec....has an offset feature.....but after using it...don't think I need to worry about that....pretty well covers my tire tracks. Here is a shot from the back .....

Attachments

• 407019-MVC-005F.JPG
    407019-MVC-005F.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 277
My first day using the tiller....well after losing an hour and half, while messing with the pto shaft...everything went pretty well. Sod that hadn't been cultivated for 20 yrs, and heavy clay soil....the tiller held up well. I chopped up the sod pretty well...will let that set awhile, and hit it later. That extra sweet variety of corn is going to really taste good. Let's see...need a bunch of lime on this soil, and some fertilizer....and ....is that a deer standing over there watching me? Deer fence....let's see now...with the price of the tiller , the corn seed, the lime, the fertilizer....this corn is costing me $50 an ear. Sounds like a bargin.

sassafraspete

/ Branson + Rotomec...Operation Corn Patch #6  
pete,
what size is that tiller? i am looking for one for my century and cant decide wether i should get a 66" or 72".

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
thanks,
doug

Doug, this is a 66". www.rotomecusa.com ..... rocky mount NC. I have my side links tightened up so not much sway to it...so I was pretty surprised that it covered my track. It has a nifty side shift feature and I think this machine is made by beefco. I wouldn't want to till up an asphalt road with it...but for my purposes ...should work ok.

pete