Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details...

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #1  

cabover4us

Silver Member
Tractor
1987 john deere 855 sold and bought a YT235 Yanmar, love this tractor
Yesterday my wife and I decided to go get some maybe two loads of topsoil if time permits. Earlier this summer I purchased a 12' x 6' N & N
galvinized dump trailer, mostly for keeping up our private road. Debbie was tied up doing her mom's laundry so I took off for the other side of Greenwich. Now when I bought this model it's one slice down from the contractor's version, added 2" X 12" to both sides for added capacity. Found operator and he gently put on just one bucket charged me $54, not bad, my tare was 10,580lbs and this trailer is rated for 7000lb payload. Felt not bad, but due to the many dump trucks driving in I didn't weight out upon leaving.. (very large mistake)
The old 2003 Chevy 2500HD pulled it without any blood trails. Getting home we off loaded to two large raised bed gardens 12' X 4' X 12" then huge area in front where Charlie seems to keep digging to China. Also spot by the back steps where ground hog decided to dig huge cavernis hole.
So, second trip Debbie goes, we arrive and again one scoop from the loader but noticed this time it was heaping. Since the morning traffic has died down, pulled up to see what my gross was and OMGosh, it was 21,280, should of been around 17,580 max, should have had him put half a bucket in and go check it on scale. And another mistake I did, drove it 12 miles home with that load on. It did handle ok, but I wasn't driving over 45 to 50. Luckily I didn't break anything or damage trailer or cause accident, but should have used more common sense in finding the right weight for our trailer before letting him plop a big slug in the trailer, completely my fault for sure. The trailer has a 3 stage piston on the very front of the box and it lifted both loads like it was hauling a load sawdust. As I write this,
wonder how many others have done the same thing but too embarrassed to admit?

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #2  
I let the rough side drag all the time with most everything. You wont know what the actual breaking capacity is unless you test it .

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details...
That's true, am certainly happy I didn't damage trailer, must be made pretty darn good for that deal yesterday.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #4  
I have a 16' dump trailer, capacity is 6 yd. and its rated for a 10,300lb. load. I've been to the gravel pit many times for bank run, crusher run, mulch, stone, top soil, etc. I've found out mulch is the only thing I can get that I can fill the box with and be within the trailer weight limit. Any of the other products I have to ask for only a 4 yd. load or it will be above the 10K limit. 4 yd. seems to be right around the trailer limit.
A few times I've come across the scale at net weight of 12,400 or a little more with a gross weight of 24,460. So the trailer was a little over a ton overweight. Fortunately I only had 2 miles to go to the dump site.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #5  
I have no problem pulling overweight loads. Most trailers are really underrated for their build, what I do have a problem with is it always seems I get stuck at the DOT scales and I don't like wasting time and money with fines so unless its a short trip around our back roads I go to the scale and make sure Its legal.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #6  
wonder how many others have done the same thing but too embarrassed to admit?

overloaded from the gravel pit? naw, nobody, ever.......
I was a classic overloaded 1/2 ton with some "concrete mix" gravel.
Such is life.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #7  
I have a 15K 16ft goosneck dump trailer that I piled some logs on to get to the mill. 1st time ever that I actually weighed a load. Grossed at 29,080 lbs and the payload was 14,440 lbs. Payload rating is 11,000 for the trailer. Handled it fine though... mostly - was waiting to have to get the bottle jack to assist in dumping, but it went OK-ish once it got moving. I'm currently looking at trailer option with a higher payload rating.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #8  
Sounds like it handled it ok. Just dont make it a habit.

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #9  
The weakest link on most trailers are the tires and suspension.
Getting caught over weight can be expensive!

/ Brand new dump trailer, not paying attention to the details... #10  
I just picked up a baby dump trailer . A 5 by 8 Brimar with a single 5200 lb axle . Barely used , its 10 years old and still has paint on the floor of the bed . I figure its good for 2 tons of material . For $ 1500 I had to buy it . It is replacing a 3000 lb utility trailer I have had for 8 years as my landfill trailer