Brakes locking up GC2400

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #1  

boatboat

Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc2400
Hey,
Got gc2400 and my brakes are locking up on light peddle.
Done 710hrs might try a fluid and filter change? can't hurt.
We do live in a hilly area and only use it on weekends.
I just can't see the brake pads being worn out?
Any help
thank you
Wayne

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #2  
Strange..these are wet brakes. I as well as several others have found the brakes somewhat lacking.

I didnt think this was even possible.

Maybe its a combination of linkage settings on the brake side and hydro petal side?

What hydraulic fluid are you using? Is it at the propper level?

Hopefully someone will have much better insight on this.

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #3  
spring involved check that
on pedal
1673881903652.png

View attachment 779508

Last edited:
   / Brakes locking up GC2400 #4  
I would look at the pedal and mechanisms mentioned by the previous posters first.

img20230116_11230457.jpgimg20230116_11250890.jpg

If that's not it then you could have disintegrated friction plates or a broken pressure plate and the parts could be getting wedged in places they should not be and this could cause the issue, but I suspect that this would be rare.

Pressure/friction plate damage would normally only happen if they overheated. It should be very hard to do this because you'd have to run it with the break engaged, or partially engaged and probably running on extremely low fluid. Normally, there isn't really anything other than moving the tractor with the break engaged that would cause this type of damage.

/ Brakes locking up GC2400
I'll look at this arvo just been using multi Ag hydraulic oil.
I did awhile ago put some stop leak in it , but that was 6 months ago?
What oil should I use?
I'm in Australia pretty hot here.
Thanks

/ Brakes locking up GC2400
Just checked it over and found nothing wrong but it is now only locking up in reverse on hard braking?
I think changing the oil is the answer

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #7  
I find it strange that you would use the left brake pedal during normal operation. Normally it is only used to set the parking brake. If you are using it in conjunction with the right hydro pedals, you are creating a lot of resistance for the hydro, producing extra heat. If the tractor hydraulic fluid isn't of suitable quality it will quickly overheat, resulting in lots of issues as the oil thins out.
That being said, grease your linkages on the hydro pedals, ensure they move smoothly. Check linkages for brakes and hydro, ensure they are not bent or binding.
Stop Leak works by causing seals to swell. OK for a simple hydraulic system or manual transmission , maybe not the best for a hydrostatic drive.

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #8  
I find it strange that you would use the left brake pedal during normal operation. Normally it is only used to set the parking brake. ...
That was pretty much my thought when I first read this. If my foot is off the HST pedals my tractor does not move, even on a hill. I use my break in 2 places on my property where I am driving up to the precipice of ditches and I only do that as a precaution and because I want to come to an immediate and full stop. Other than this I don't touch it unless I'm setting the parking break and getting off for some reason.

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #9  
Odd that I find the "use of left pedal wrong", on my GC 1715 left pedal is "Brake Pedal" (by owners manual) and I use it as a brake..... True when off HST pedal tractor tends to slow and eventually stop, but using the brake pedal is more positive and probably intended to be that way....

/ Brakes locking up GC2400 #10  
I find it strange that you would use the left brake pedal during normal operation. Normally it is only used to set the parking brake. If you are using it in conjunction with the right hydro pedals, you are creating a lot of resistance for the hydro, producing extra heat. If the tractor hydraulic fluid isn't of suitable quality it will quickly overheat, resulting in lots of issues as the oil thins out.
That being said, grease your linkages on the hydro pedals, ensure they move smoothly. Check linkages for brakes and hydro, ensure they are not bent or binding.
Stop Leak works by causing seals to swell. OK for a simple hydraulic system or manual transmission , maybe not the best for a hydrostatic drive.
I remember watching a youtube vid a while back, a [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]kubota[/AFFILIATE] bx channel guy, and he was constantly hitting the brake (even level ground) as he would easy of the hst pedal. Somebody even commented on that, and he kind of responded that it's a habit for him. I was thinking he outta break that habit.

Anyways, I would try Hube's way first, completely loosen the linkage, and then check to make sure the brakes don't work at all. If that's the case (hopefully), the linkage just needs to be adjusted.