Brake experts

/ Brake experts #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I drive a 2009 1ton dually and pull a 30' Haulmark trailer with equipment loaded, 10-12klbs depending on the day.

Last fall, I replaced the brake hubs on the trailer, then took the truck o the shop to get a brake job, they told me I had over 50% pads left so..... I did notice that the brakes where much stiffer (good thing).

I have notice the brakes getting softer and figured I needed to adjust the trailer brakes and likely do a brake job. Now to tonight, I catch a traffic light just right, one of the ones that goes from Green to red in about 5 seconds, I mash the brake peddle until it bottomed out. Now my brakes are crazy good, like when I bought the truck?????

Only thing I can think of is air getting in some how? Fluid level is full, checked it when I did my oil change a week ago.

BTW, brakes worked great on the trip home from the job,,,,has me puzzled.

/ Brake experts #2  
Yep, I agree that it sounds like air got into the lines, but I have no idea how it could have happened.

/ Brake experts #3  
Most likely your caliber sliders were sticking, holding the outer pad away from the rotor. Haard braking made the caliber move and take up thegap. If my truck I would remove the calibers and check either the pins or sliding surface for something sticking.

/ Brake experts #4  
I agree that the calipers sticking could be a issue but the pads could also have been glazed over. Pulling a trailer all the time like you do perhaps you have the trailer brakes adjusted so that they are doing too much of the braking and the truck is not doing enough?

I would back down your controller. Also for someone who tows as much as you do having a factory type controller that is pressure driven is the only way to go.

What controller are you running?

Chris

/ Brake experts
Controler is factory in the truck.
I usually run the trailer brakes a bit "soft", I don't want them to lock up to easy.

I am almost positive I need to get the rotors turned, when In stop and go traffic and the get hot, I get a little "wobble". If I can get off the road long enough during the week, I will take at least the fronts off and see whats going on, orjust take it in and have it dble checked.