Boxblading Vegetation

/ Boxblading Vegetation #1  

Sub_Dude

Tractor
1975 Ford 3000
Hey there!

I'd like to ask about folks' experience with box blading dirt piles that have lots of weeds growing in them. Not just turf, but 6 foot tall bull grass, elephant grass, Johnson grass, whatever.

Last April, my neighbor dug out a canal on one border of my property with a dragline and put the diggings (about a yard at a time, all in a row over a hundred yards long) on my side of the canal. I couldn't bushhog the piles, and the weeds took over while I was busy doing other things.

I need to smooth out the piles of dirt, but I was wondering if boxblading the tall grass and roots would be more trouble than cutting them out of the way. Pulling them doesn't sound feasible, and cutting them by hand, with a string trimmer, or with a DR mower would be quite a task.

So what say ye? Will it hurt to leave the vegetation standing as I pull the dirt out into the pasture and smooth it? Or will it turn into a mess worse than what I have now?

I've attached a flick, showing the berm (hidden under the grass) and the grass. I recruited my 5' 5" daughter to show scale. (You can tell she's quite the helper./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) In the background are Brazilian pepper trees, which I need to get my tractor to so I can eradicate them from my land. But first I have to get my tractor over the canal. But that's another project, which can't happen until I can get near the canal. It's scary to think my own Honey-do list is longer than my wife's. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Any help appreciated; any further questions gladly answered. Thanks in advance.

The Sub Dude

I'm gonna live forever....So far, so good....

/ Boxblading Vegetation
Just thought I'd attached a flick. The beauty of computers is that after 25 years, I can still be a newbie. Amazing!

I'm gonna live forever....So far, so good....

Attachments

• 33-82815-berm.jpg
    33-82815-berm.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 256
   / Boxblading Vegetation #3  
Sub Dude,

Sorry my friend, but it's time to use the rotary cutter. I would venture to say that the jungle you have pictured would foul the use of the boxblade. You'd spend more time cursing and pulling weeds than bushhogging. Get a MChalkey cup, fill it up with some cold beverage, and have fun bushhogging.

Terry

/ Boxblading Vegetation #4  
Sub Dude -

Since my own experience is barely measurable, my two cents may be overvalued, but ...

I've made several attacks on uneven, highly grassed areas around my property. Like you, I was hesitant to use my rotary cutter due to the contours of the ground. Just box blading was unsuccessful, since the blade wound up simply gliding over the thick grass. Using the rippers did better, but a couple months later, the weeds came back with a vengeance. Guess they liked the nice, soft, turned-up soil. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The best and most long-lasting combination was when I nailed the weeds with Roundup, waited for them to shrivel up nice and brown, and then took the box blade to them. The blade was then able to take a good cut of soil, and the high spots wound up filling the low spots just like they're supposed to. Kinda wished I had a landscape rake to clear the dead growth first, but after just two seasons, the re-growth is now minimal.

Of course, I had nothing the size of your berm to deal with, but maybe a similar approach would at least get you started. Good luck, and keep us up to date (with pictures, if possible). /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Boxblading Vegetation #5  
I don't know much about Roundup (I do know it is very popular), but, is it a good idea to use it right next to a canal?

Billboe

/ Boxblading Vegetation #6  
<font color=blue>is it a good idea to use it right next to a canal?</font color=blue>

That's a good question, Billboe. The closest to an answer I could get is from the FAQ page from Roundup's own web site:

Can I use Roundup near a pond, lake or other body of water?
Roundup can be used up to the edge of a body of water, but should not be sprayed in the water because it can be harmful to aquatic organisms. For controlling weeds in water, use an aquatically approved weed killer.

HarvSig.gif

/ Boxblading Vegetation #7  
Sub Dude-
In situations like this, I kill it with Roundup, then burn it. Those weeds will really mess up your dirt moving.
Billboe, Roundup is fairly benign, except to vegetation- I wouldn't worry about the canal.

waver.gif
<font color=green>stan</font color=green>

/ Boxblading Vegetation #8  
Roundup is non-residual, meaning once it has hit the ground and does it's damage, it won't hurt anything.

The instructions say you can graze animals again in something like a day or close to.

Pretty harmless stuff - Just don't drink it !!

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue>

/ Boxblading Vegetation #9  
Hey Sub Dude, where are you in S. Florida. I grew up on Marco Island, and your picture looks like it is in the same neck of the woods (perhaps Golden Gate?)? If you have a haevy duty brush cutter, I would get in there as best as I could first and cut everything possible. Then if you still have alot of stuff standing, I would go with the roundup. Having been a chemist, I appreciate the need for chemicals, but I think that their use should be as little as possible. Once everything is dead / cut, I would scrape as much of the growth into a burn pile as possible, burn it, and then take your box blade to the remaining dirt. BTW how long did it take for the pile to stop smelling? Some of those canal dredgings can really be nasty for quite a while.

rf33
rf33_sig_better.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Boxblading Vegetation #10  
Dang but this is a small world. I was going to ask Sub Dude where he was living figuring it was the Naples area but then you mentioned Marco. I spent a bit of time on Marco in the 80s. A friend from school lived there for quite some time and we used to go over there all the time... Great place but over developed like so much of Florida.....

Brazilian Pepper bushes! Hate em. The state used a mixture of diesel fuel and I think Round Up to kill the Pepper bushes and the Maluccas. We would scrape the bark away from the tree/bush and then spray. The plant would suck the mix into the roots and the limbs. About the only way to kill them things.....

Later....
Dan McCarty