Box Blade vs. Rear Blade

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #1  

boduke_43235

I have about an 1 1/2 acres that I need to finish off the grade with. It's relatively flat already but it does need some finishing touches. I am planning on buying a Kubota BX1500 and can't decide on which one I should get. There is a $350 difference between the two...the box blade costing more. Are box blades that much better or am I just overthinking this? Thanks.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #2  
boduke:

For leveling and moving dirt from one place to another, the box blade is far and away the better choice. The extra weight cuts into the soil better than a back blade, and the end plates hold the soil in the box until you get to the low spot where you want to dump it. Also, most box blades have teeth (scarifiers) on the front, which can be lowered to rip up the soil so you can level it. The teeth, combined with adjusting the angle of the blade with the top link, allow you to dig deeper, or spread and level the material. Takes some time to learn the techniques, but I think it would be the better choice.

The only advantage the back blade adds is the ability to angle the blade to sidecast the material off the trailing end of the blade. This can be useful for some operations, but the lighter weight of the back blade will not cut into the soil as well when you want to take material off the high spots and deposit it in the low spots. The back blade will tend to follow the existing contours of the land.

Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #3  
The rear blade works good for smoothing, finish grading and casting material to one side. Works good for snow removal as well. It will not dig very well if at all on a hard surface or grass.

The box blade work good for moving material, cutting high spots and filling low spots. The rippers can tear up the ground pretty good as well. You can finish grade with a BB as well but it takes a little more practice in my experiance.

I get a lot more use out of my BB than the RB. This winter the RB will get all the use.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #4  
I don't own a box blade but I do own a rear blade. I would say it would depend on what you want to use it for. If you are just going to grade with it than I would the box blade. If you a lot of snow than the rear blade would be better choice. If you need to dig ditches or anything like that the rear blade would be a better choice. Consider what all you might do with a box blade or rear blade.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #5  
I guess you don't know it yet, but you WILL eventually own both of them.... along with quite a few other implements. $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sounds like you need a box first, though. Leveling and grading will be much easier.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #6  
You've gotten some good advice and I would agree that a boxblade is the way to go for what you describe. Now what has me baffled is the price you mentioned if I understand right. Are you saying that you are being quoted $350 more for a boxblade than what a rear blade cost? If that is true, do some more shopping and get to know some other dealers. I have a 5' box blade and paid somewhere around $400 for it. I have a 6' rear blade and paid about the same for it. The BX isn't going to handle any more than a 4' boxblade and you should be able to buy one for the difference you are being quoted. Something isn't right with that pricing.

MarkV

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade
Thanks for all the good tips. With all of your advice, it sounds like the box is the way to go.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade
Thanks for the $ info. The dealer I talked to earlier today was giving me list prices over the phone. I'm definitely shopping around for this Kubota.

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #9  
box blades around 4-5' are should be around 300$ or less for light duty/med duty...

/ Box Blade vs. Rear Blade #10  
boduke_43235,

While you did not ask for this advice, I would suggest that you at least consider moving up to the 1800 or 2200.

The cost is a thousand or two more, but with tractors the payback for the extra dollars spent is not proportional. You get more tractor per dollar when you go bigger.

In my opinion a BX2200 is not too big for 1.5 acres. I have a B2910 on 3.7 acres...and am getting a BX2200 to compliment it as soon as my dealer can find one.

If you are going to be grading with a box blade you may find the extra power of the slightly larger tractor desirable.

I know it is easy for others to spend your money, but if you don't do it right the first time you will either be unhappy in the long run, or will lose when you correct your error.

Of course, if the bX1500 turns out to be perfect for you, you saved some money. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck and happy tractoring...