Box blade uses?

/ Box blade uses? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
When I bought my green tractor I got lots of attachments, FEL (tooth bar for it), backhoe, grapple, auger, boom, bush hog. The grapple I rarely use.
I was thinking about a box blade and have a few (stupid?) questions. First I assume you can adjust the ripper shanks for depth of cut, but I have areas that heavy trucks drove over in pasture making it bumpy. Rather than tearing up the hay can loose soil be put into the box blade so it would just drop in the low spots when pulled along, shanks up high?
I have one steep area, gravel (railroad ballast) that goes either side of a creek. Would it work smoothing it out?
I've never used one before. Thanks...

/ Box blade uses? #2  
check youtube for how to use one. lots of good videos. But, to answer your question about the shanks, yes they can be raised or even removed. Another thing, to move dirt effectively you will need to adjust your top link either shorter or longer - this is how you adjust how much "bite" the blade has while your are pulling it. Shorter top link tilts the front of the box blade down and digs into the ground while moving forward, while moving backward it just shoves the pile of dirt filling low spots. Longer top link tilts the front of the blade up and pulls the pile of dirt while moving forward, it will cut into the ground in reverse. Only a little adjustment is needed - too much and it can dig in too deep for your tractor to pull unless you've got a big one. Also, depending on your style of lift arms you can "tilt" the blade - higher or lower on either the left or right. Why? to dig a ditch or crown a road. Again, youtube has lots of good videos which show you what I just said. good luck, a box blade is a powerful tool with lots of uses.

/ Box blade uses? #3  
   / Box blade uses? #5  
I was thinking about a box blade and have a few questions.

1) First I assume you can adjust the ripper shanks for depth of cut, but I have areas that heavy trucks drove over in pasture making it bumpy.

2) Rather than tearing up the hay can loose soil be put into the box blade so it would just drop in the low spots when pulled along, shanks up high?

3) I have one steep area, gravel (railroad ballast) that goes either side of a creek. Would it work smoothing it out?

How large is the pasture you wish to improve?

1) Ripper shanks are adjustable. Moderate price Box Blade shanks adjust manually, individually. More expensive Box Blade shanks adjust hydraulically, all together, from the tractor operating station IF you have a pair of hydraulic ports at the rear of your tractor to power shank movement.

2) Box Blades are primarily construction implements, not field implements. Box Blade ripper shanks are primarily designed to cut into asphalt and gravel roads to eliminate pot holes. In pastures they will tear up the grass but leave a mess. They may work for what you want to do, but are not engineered for that task.

Box Blades move dirt by peeling off thin layers with the rear section called the moldboard, then accumulate the layers in front of the moldboard which pulls the dirt along.

Almost all above surface pasture grass must be removed before moldboard can cut. Moldboard will skim over surface grass. Your Rotary Cutter can scalp the pasture as the first step in renovation.

Pasture grass normally has roots down to 9". If you only need to peel layers to 6" deep grass should recover. If you need to peel layers deeper than 6" the life of your grass is in jeopardy.

The optimum implement for your application is probably NOT a Box Blade. The better implement is a Disc Harrow. However, your Deere 3038 is too light to pull an adequately heavy Disc Harrow.

3) A Box Blade will not smooth railroad ballast. The Box Blade moldboard cannot "peel" rocks larger than gravel.

How large is the pasture you wish to improve?

If pasture is small, consider using a Middlebuster to loosen high areas. Cheap implement. Short learning curve.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+Middlebuster

Photos: Bush Hog (brand) Rollover Box Blade.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
   / Box blade uses? #6  
John Deere 3038E - dimensions

2008 - 2019
Model years
Compact Utility tractor

Dimensions:
Weight (operating): 2,175 lbs [986 kg]
Weight (max capacity): 4,410 lbs [2000 kg]
Wheelbase: 60 inches [152 cm]
Length: 111 inches [281 cm]
Width: 56.5 inches [143 cm] (min)
58 inches [147 cm] (max)
Height (hood): 51 inches [129 cm]
Height (ROPS): 82.3 inches [209 cm]

Page information:
Last update: August 23, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

/ Box blade uses? #7  
I had the same problem with ruts made by trucks/tractors during a wet season many years ago during the previous ownership. Ruts only found in specific areas of my pasture and upto six inches deep. I brought in 5 truck loads of top soil and spread into low areas using the loader and box blade without any ripping and scarification, followed up by many hours of drag harrow.

Unfortunately, some ruts survived compaction, and the following year required second treatment of another 3 truck loads of pure river sand, spread with loader, box blade and drag harrow. Followed up by planting field grass seed over all areas. Its now mostly level and much better than it used to be.
After my experience, I would recommend running box blade ripping and scarification to breakdown the ruts, prior to bringing any of the top soil fill. It really takes more effort than I expected at the start of the project, and I certainly keep my tractor off the pasture while its wet.

/ Box blade uses?
Thanks, all replies. My guess total area I need to work is about 2-3 acres.