Box Scraper Box blade the right attachment?

/ Box blade the right attachment? #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I am getting ready to put a driveway in on a piece of property. I want to remove approx. 6 inches of topsoil and was not sure if a box blade is the right attachment. A dozer would be perfect and make this a quick job, but I have time and want to do this myself. Will a box blade work to remove about 6" of soil or am I way off.
Thank you

/ Box blade the right attachment? #2  
I'm no expert for sure, but my experience is you can't move much dirt very far with a box blade. I use it primarily for smoothing (e.g., filling the dips over a short distance). How long and wide is your proposed driveway? Where are you moving that 6" of topsoil to (how far away)? 100', perhaps - 1,000', not practical IMHO.

/ Box blade the right attachment? #3  
Don't know what equipment or attachments you have, but I would rent a tiller to work up the topsoil first, then scoop it up with a bucket. For me, much easier to control the depth and the top soil is in much better condition to use as lawn filler elswhere.

But don't know all you are faced with, or what you need. I wouldn't do it with a box blade. Others might however. :)

/ Box blade the right attachment? #4  
A box blade will work ... not fast but will do it... I would disk or till it up first... not having either of those attachments I might go at it with the rippers. Then box blade to wherever you are placing it... as was mentioned if you are moving it very far you may never get it done. KennyV.

/ Box blade the right attachment?
It will be a long driveway but I was thinking use the rippers on the box blade to tear it up and move the dirt to piles and then use the front loader to take it to wherever I'm going to put it. I don't own a box blade yet but was going to buy one for this and then for future driveway maintenance.
Oh and the current tractor is a Kubota B8700 4x4 with FEL.

/ Box blade the right attachment? #6  
It will be a long driveway but I was thinking use the rippers on the box blade to tear it up and move the dirt to piles and then use the front loader to take it to wherever I'm going to put it. I don't own a box blade yet but was going to buy one for this and then for future driveway maintenance.
Oh and the current tractor is a Kubota B8700 4x4 with FEL.

If you don,t mind the time factor it sure will work.I,d cut the sod up first with the rippers set fairly high and after the sods gone lower the rippers as deep as your tractor can handle and enjoy the ride:thumbsup:Dave

/ Box blade the right attachment? #7  
wmonroe, you have a good plan there. You don't need a plow, tiller, disk or anything else. What in the world do you folks think that those ripper tines are there for? Put the teeth down and go loosen the soil. After you have an area worked up move it with the bucket (long distance). If you are moving the dirt a short distance just drag and spread it with the box. When using the box blade, play around with the top link adjustment. You should find that shortening the top link will make the teeth and the blade cut more aggressively. If you lengthen the link you won't move as much dirt but the work will be smoother and a bit easier to control. Use this setting to finish the job.

BTW: Why do you want to take dirt away first? This will put you driveway below grade and it will become a ditch.

I want to take away the topsoil so I can put fabric down, then about 4-6" of a #3 stone, and top it with approx. 2" of 2B modified gravel.

I'm looking at box blades now, does anyone own a United brand? Everything attachments has one on their site for about $595. I'm going to stop at a local place after work tonight and see what they have.

/ Box blade the right attachment? #9  
that seems kind of cheap for the size tractor you have. maybe not a heavy duty one. I have a cheap 4 ft model that has no replacement blade on it. I also have a 24 hp yanmar so i really cant twist it up and i dont really maintain a driveway. I have gravel that i smooth say one a year or every other year, and use the rippers for foodplots, and maybe every so often may hit the woods road with it, i paid $200 for it used and should last me a while. Make sure you get one with a replaceable blade if your going to work a long driveway everyyear. Also the heavier the better. i put 2, 22'' diameter oak firewood (unsplit) chunks on the back to give it weight (will need to find something else as they are too dried out this summer to be to good).

Here is the link to the one i'm considering. There are definately more heavy duty ones out there but I didn't think it looked too bad.

United 566HD Heavy Duty Box Blade 66"

See what you guys think. I'm looking at the 5 1/2', which is about 405 pounds.