Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #1  

FriendwithTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
Hello Friends,

I have acquired a new to me L3901 that's already proved its worth with just the FEL.
My friend as I've discussed previously has just finished constructing a house and now needs help with the finishing dirtwork.
The ground is clay with rocks (specifically shale)

To get to the point, I'm trying to size a box blade for the L3901 that would be appropriate for grading what remains of his backyard and a decent slope. I'm also hoping to use this for leveling my own building pad, cutting trails and maintaining a driveway.

Advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #2  
I would think a 6' box blade would suit you well. If your clay and rock gets to be too much you can always raise the shanks a little or use every other one.

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #3  
As you know, there is no hydraulic down pressure applied to the Three Point Hitch. Therefore, the heaviest Box Blade weight per unit of Box Blade width will give best penetration and skiveing ability. For standard Box Blades this is usually around 80 pounds per foot of width. For Rollover Box Blades this is usually around 120 pound per foot of width.

You will appreciate a heavy Box Blade as counterbalance on the Three Point Hitch when doing Loader work.

SKIVE: to split or cut, as leather, into layers or slices. to shave, as hides.

Last edited:
   / Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #4  
6'. Cover the width of the tires plus an inch or two extra on each side. I dunno the width of a 3901 (what tires?) but if a 66" box blade covered it well, that would give you more ripping and pulling power.

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #5  
Agree that a 6' would be the correct size. You want to be just wider than the rear tires too. This allows you to use them as your guide whole not being oversized for the tractor.

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901
6'. Cover the width of the tires plus an inch or two extra on each side. I dunno the width of a 3901 (what tires?) but if a 66" box blade covered it well, that would give you more ripping and pulling power.
Ag tires on front and rear, 4 wheel drive and diff lock available as well.
I should also mention that it's an HST.
Wheel base according to tractor data is 63.3 inches, but I haven't measured mine.

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #7  
A 3901 probably has the guts to pull a 72" box blade. Plenty of power, but the tractor is a little light. Loaded tires would help. Keeping your FEL bucket loaded with a scoop of dirt helps also.

I had a 72" box blade on my Cub Cadet 7305 (30 HP) and it was a little too big. Very easy to anchor it with roots underground, or an overflowing load of soil, and get the tractor stuck. Had to raise the box blade up a lot to keep moving.

It is time to revise your tractor make and model in your T-B-N PROFILE.

Ford 1220

Noted and Adjusted.

A 3901 probably has the guts to pull a 72" box blade. Plenty of power, but the tractor is a little light. Loaded tires would help. Keeping your FEL bucket loaded with a scoop of dirt helps also.

I had a 72" box blade on my Cub Cadet 7305 (30 HP) and it was a little too big. Very easy to anchor it with roots underground, or an overflowing load of soil, and get the tractor stuck. Had to raise the box blade up a lot to keep moving.

Good to know, considering this is mountain ground, roots would be endemic. I was thinking of getting the rears filled anyway just to do FEL work.

/ Box Blade Sizing for Kubota L3901 #9  
Ag tires on front and rear, 4 wheel drive and diff lock available as well.
I should also mention that it's an HST.
Wheel base according to tractor data is 63.3 inches, but I haven't measured mine.
Wheelbase is length from center of front axle to center of rear axle.
Overall width is 55", but of course that can be changed with rear wheel adjustments.

How wide is your loader bucket? Ideally, matching the bucket width makes operating easy, but again, there are other factors to consider on a box blade.
Also, the rear wheels on any FEL tractor should be adjusted to give you good stability.

Last edited:
Wheelbase is length from center of front axle to center of rear axle

Thanking you, Then the width would be 55 inches according to tractor data.